Wiring foundation - what power source?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Planning to make wired foundation next year. What do you use to heat the wire to embed it?

Thornes have a 10V 13A transformer. Would a car battery work?

Thanks . . . . Ben

Planning to make wired foundation next year. What do you use to heat the wire to embed it?

Thornes have a 10V 13A transformer. Would a car battery work?

Thanks . . . . Ben

Forget the Thornes transformer - get on ebay and you can buy a cheapo car battery charger for around a tenner. It's what I used out in Africa to wire frames (about the only thing I could get hold of) and it worked a treat

I just use a small 12v motor cycle battery, and use the same one to power the vaporiser. Works fine for me, but Im not doing lots and lots of frames or vapes.

That's what I hoped.

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to electricity. Am I in danger of giving myself a shock? Should I wear the rubber gloves I use for the nasty hives and a pair of wellies? :)

I just use a small 12v motor cycle battery, and use the same one to power the vaporiser. Works fine for me, but Im not doing lots and lots of frames or vapes.

:iagree: any 12v battery will do just fine.

Yes, these were the ones I was looking at. I'm thinking the 'intelligent' one might be intelligent enough to realize it is not connected to a battery and switch itself off so might go for the cheaper basic one.

Thanks.

Yes, I found that the thick as sh!t basic one did the trick, even with a 12v charger it only takes a few seconds to embed the wax.
And if you get really bored this Christmas you can clamp the crocodile clips to your nipples as a party trick :eek::icon_204-2:

Yes, I found that the thick as sh!t basic one did the trick, even with a 12v charger it only takes a few seconds to embed the wax.
And if you get really bored this Christmas you can clamp the crocodile clips to your nipples as a party trick :eek::icon_204-2:

Got the hardware installed already. This could be a good Christmas party.

s-l500.jpg

Ha ha ha I'll try and secure a few volunteers at the next club frame making session

That's what I hoped.

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to electricity. Am I in danger of giving myself a shock? Should I wear the rubber gloves I use for the nasty hives and a pair of wellies? :)

No
No
And No

if it is 12V you will be fine..

But if you are heating wire up, I would wear thickish hide/gardening/mechanics gloves to prevent branding yourself with hot wires...

Been there...no feeling left in two thumb pads..

What I used over many years, its now in storage, is a battery charger which has a motorcycle setting. It worked great, especially if I did a length in sections.

Sort of three or four inches at a time. Didn't take long.

I would suggest though that you make a wiring board. Mine had rebates to hold super and brood frames, Nat and Lang, as they were what I was using at the time and they also help support the foundation as you heat the wire up.

Photo on request.

PH

A photo would be useful to anyone who reads this far into the thread. If you already have a photo. Don't excavate the shed just to take one.

I was hoping to embed the whole W shape of wire in one . .. pulse(?). You would lace the wire between 2 rows of pins, tighten the wires by pulling the 2 rows apart and then switch on the electricity to heat the wire. Then release the tension so you could get the sheet out again.
I've seen the setup they have at Thornes on a site visit but wasn't paying enough attention.

A photo would be useful to anyone who reads this far into the thread. If you already have a photo. Don't excavate the shed just to take one.

I was hoping to embed the whole W shape of wire in one . .. pulse(?). You would lace the wire between 2 rows of pins, tighten the wires by pulling the 2 rows apart and then switch on the electricity to heat the wire. Then release the tension so you could get the sheet out again.
I've seen the setup they have at Thornes on a site visit but wasn't paying enough attention.

Surely an easier way of doing this would be to wire the frames and embed the wax directly into the frame?

easy enough to make a jig with a piece of ply and some nails
Was fixing foundation in pre wired Langstroth frames out in Lesotho - lay the frame flat, foundation rested over the wires touch one jubilee clip of a 12v battery charger to each end of the wire, a couple of seconds and all done no need at all to do it in installments

Surely an easier way of doing this would be to wire the frames and embed the wax directly into the frame?

:iagree:

Wired frames or wired foundation. ?

Easier to embed wax onto wired frames but you have to wire the frames. Drill and thread wire. The embedding jig would be easier to make.

Not convinced. I'm still looking to put the wire into the foundation sheet. Then put the wired foundation into a standard frame.

Nah use a magneto off an old engine! :)

Latest posts

Back