Wire mesh for uniting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Has anyone on here slipped some wire mesh in between two brood boxes for a few days as an alternative to using the newspaper method, so allowing the necessary Queen pheromones to mingle throughout?

Just a thought.

I thought about this the other day. I was going to pop in my travel screen for a few days because i didn`t have any newspaper with me. In the end i went and found some newspaper just in case there was something i was missing.

Darren.

Wire mesh ? it will be more like a propolis screen after a few days.

Wouldn't wire mesh mean you'd have to remove it for them to mingle rather than them just demoloshing it and mingling when they're ready????

Just a thought:.) Di

Wouldn't wire mesh mean you'd have to remove it for them to mingle rather than them just demoloshing it and mingling when they're ready????

Just a thought:.) Di

You would.....preferably before it became a propolis screen as suggested by Admin.

I was just thinking about it as an option....don't shoot me?

Has anyone on here slipped some wire mesh in between two brood boxes for a few days as an alternative to using the newspaper method, so allowing the necessary Queen pheromones to mingle throughout?

Just a thought.

Why? Sounds like a sure fire way to propogate a load of viruses around as the bees can't get out for cleansing flights, and in the meantime lack of physical contact (I realise there would be trophalaxis through the mesh)would probably start some queen cells off.

What disadvantage have you discovered to the newspaper method - it works fine for me every time I've used it.

Adam

What disadvantage have you discovered to the newspaper method - it works fine for me every time I've used it.

Adam

None. But then personally I don't use that method as I prefer to unite with scented 1:1 or water, which works well for me. Each to their own.

I was just posing the question.

I appreciate your comment concerning restriction within the top brood box, so there would be timing issues however, depending upon the gauge of the mesh, the development could be minimised or even ruled out altogether perhaps.

i use mesh much in uniting. I have used it 45 years.
My favorit is direct uniting, but if diffence is big, i use mesh.

i use mesh much in uniting. I have used it 45 years.
My favorit is direct uniting, but if diffence is big, i use mesh.

Thank you Finman. Interesting to see someone actually implementing my 'theory'!

It's an interesting idea. I've had success with the newspaper method, but a few times I've had a large pile of dead bees below the entrance.

Mesh will work fine,plus a small side entrace or hole to allow flight,also good for placing frames of emerging brood above a strong colony,for the young bee's., my favorite way of uniting bee's when making nuc's is shove them all together and take them for a drive round in the back of a truck....they are united just fine on arrival at new site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back