Winter Survival Of Your Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have already done a varroa treatment of my hives. Is it necessary to do oxalic acid treatment later in the year, or is it just a replacement for varroa treatment, i.e. if already done, no need to vape or treat until spring?
It's entirely up to you. If you have done the autumn treatment properly, you don't need to go in midwinter at one time trickling ws the only effective way to kill mites, and, as you should only treat once a year, you needed to find a time when the colony was broodless

I have already done a varroa treatment of my hives. Is it necessary to do oxalic acid treatment later in the year, or is it just a replacement for varroa treatment, i.e. if already done, no need to vape or treat until spring?
One can expect about 95% efficacy, a winter mid Dec vape or trickle will mop up the remainder if brood less, another reason is in case of a mite re - infestation from another source. This may be via robbing or a non treater locally who doesn't monitor.

Winter Oxalic has never been a replacement but a simple 1 off that means you shouldn’t need to be treating in the spring or until the normal autumn treatments come round again.

So i have to consider that water of metabolism behaves differently in wood and poly. In both it will condense on a cold surface but in addition it will move through a wooden one.

I was sent on a painting course whilst offshore so this applies mainly to metal but it may interest some.

The primer coat protects the material. The undercoat protects the primer and works as a key for the topcoat. Said topcoat is to give a pretty colour.

PH

Latest posts

Back