Winter supplement Pattie recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikethebee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Ok this is what WE do we are making a winter supplement Pattie we mix everything in a big cement mixer.
We use our top feeders for this 4inch thick deep box two feed compartment same size as the B.S.Nat hive, pour in the mix still warm from friction in mixer to 1inch from top place large plastic sheet over the top and tape round.
When cold and ready for the bees cut a square 1 inch hole in the center for bee access place upside down directly on top of the brood nest NO Q EX You will find some bees Queen as well will move up inside the box and make new comb inside the feeder where it is wormer you can clean it out ?(or make use of this later in the year)? or turn the box up right and fill the other side with syrup.

Ingredients for 17 .6 lbs or 8.2 kg mix
1 kg brewers yeast = 2.2lbs
800 g your bees pollen = 1lb 1.1/3oz high pollen
500 g Pollard = 1.2oz
100 g Vegetable rape oil = 4oz
50 g Multi vitamin mix = 2oz
3.5 kgs own honey (at 50o C) = 7lb 7oz
2.2kg sugar syrup = 4lb4oz
Some will add dry egg or dry skim milk powder I DONT.

OR put 1 pound in a plastic self seal bag, lay flat to remove air shape out flat and seal, when ready place directly on top of the brood frames NO Q EX cut 1inch sq hole in the top and leave alone. WE even feed a dry mix.
we have other recipe but thats another time not now.

Please read and don?t contradict and confute, nor believe and take for granted, nor to find discourse; but to weigh and consider!

All the best mike

Thanks Mike

That looks a better recipe than I use but what is the third ingredient

500 g Pollard = 1.2oz

Here is mine recipe after several years trials. It is really palatable to bees.

I make dough with dough machine.

3 kg dry irradiated pollen
0,7 litre water to soften pollen over night
3 kg dry baker yeast
2 kg soya flour with fat or without
1 kg fructose ( or honey if you do not have AFB)
1 kg cane sugar
3 multivitamin pills crushed and diluted into water.
150 mg C- vitamin = Ascorbic acid powder

Soya flour may have 20% oil/fat or if you use fat free, give food oil. It makes patty palatable.

http://bees.freesuperhost.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144910827

Last edited:
Mike's recipe

I did not found what is pollard

50 g multivitamin might be poisonous dose. I have in my hand multivitamin pills 250 pieces and total weight is 110 g. It is to adult one pill per day. To children it is too much.

I have used one pill multvitamin and 50 mg C-vitamin powder per 3 kg patty.

The 3 kg colony use 500 g patty during 7 days. My patty recipe is to 20 hives. The concentration of vitamin is about 70 kg human per day. I have not seen any recommendations how to use vitamin to bees.

So one multivitamin pill is 0,44 g. 1000 mg = 1g.

Some will add dry egg or dry skim milk powder are not proper to bees.

Soya flour is strong protein source to patty but it makes patty hard if you use to much.

Last edited:
Mike: WE even feed a dry mix.

Problem with patty is that if it become dry, bees cannot eate it.
They bite it with small jaws. If you add water to patty, they start again to eate it.

Sometimes bees destroy the patty and you find its flour on the floor.

Now I use dry yeast and it is main component because it keeps patty soft.
I have got dry baking yeast from yeast factory 2?/kg. It is vacuum packed.

Skimmed milk is 53% lactose and 32% protein.
It is very expencive and lactose is not good to bees.

Yeast is better.

Patty is better to mix as warm. Use hot water or syrup.
When it is ready, it better too make to ready patties or such clumbs that you may warm up them in micro wave oven.

If you put the dough into container, it is hard job to take it off.

Hi Ya finman
Have you heard the song frank Sinatra "ill do it my wayyyyy da de da "
Bung half bag of sugar In a cement mixer then bung all the ingredients in at the same time, don?t use TAP water as it is contaminated with the millions of birth pill that has been passed, down the river to the be treated for drinking.
? (contaminated Rain water is better)?
Open up the mixer gate and out it comes on to a stainless Steel tray scoop up 1.1/2 pounds place in plastic bag seal and box ready, photos later!

JIM me boy
Pollard is added, its low in protein contains all sorts of Vits helps to dilute other high proteins comes from wheat. NOTE don?t use SOYA I have my reasons.
The Pollard recipe we use comes from Australia for boosting the remaining colonies after shaking See Terry Brown (Brown bees) they also use dry egg powder, as some big b-farmers do in the USA.

The dry milk powder used, is from the Australian 4 legged Haggis but only when it has lost its tail feathers and in season, (not found in countries with the word ending in Land, ?Finland England Ireland Etc ) amassing enough they have been seen in the Scottish Isles the milk is very rich much like royal jelly the bees love it.:confused:

All the best mike

www.easybeeproducts.co.uk

Hi Ya finman
Have you heard the song frank Sinatra "ill do it my wayyyyy da de da "

Yes, it is my favorit song and it gets my wife angry.

But mike, your viamin dose. When bees flab 250 times per second, your bees must flap 600 times per second and the speed is something 70 miles per hour. They go trough flowers with that speed when they try to stop.

Mr

Yes, it is my favorit song and it gets my wife angry.

But mike, your viamin dose. When bees flab 250 times per second, your bees must flap 600 times per second and the speed is something 70 miles per hour. They go trough flowers with that speed when they try to stop.

can humans eat it as ive got some allotment digging to do :smilielol5:

mike how many hive do you have, as i don't think that amount will be of any use to one or two hive owners, still can be cut down for own use, still interesting to know would it benefit people like me to put on patties, what time scale does it save

mike how many hive do you have, as i don't think that amount will be of any use to one or two hive owners, still can be cut down for own use, still interesting to know would it benefit people like me to put on patties, what time scale does it save

You will not be getting an answer to your question on this forum from Mike, he is no longer a member.

Those discussions were 2008, four years ago.

Last year I found finally what kind of vitamins bees use. That came from royal jelly content.

Royal jelly has plenty of B-group vitamins. C-vitamin does not exist much even if it is said to be essential in patty.

What I have added since 2008 are

- multi -B-vitamin
- magnesium
- date fruit (=86% sugar).

Dont use olive oil. Bees do not like it. Use rape oil.

Back