Winter stores, hive format etc.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the advantages in not using any insulation in the roof is you can see the dry patch on the roof in the spring telling you the cluster is ok.

I have some 50mm insulation I intend to use.
Can I just put the roof (6") on top or do I have to make a 50mm eke to keep the roof "in line" so to speak?

OK I'll try to explain what I mean.
If I put the 50mm insulation on top of the crownboard and just put th roof on top the underside of the roof will sit on top of the insulation, whereas normally the underside of the roof does not touch the crownboard or whatever is underneath as it has "raisers" all the way round the sides.
So in order to keep the "raisers" touching wood and not touching the insulation I could put ina 50mm eke.
Novice question I know, but hey I'm a novice.

A 150mm roof will cover 50mm insulation and the coverboard and the box by the same amount as a 100mm roof (generally the standard size) without the insulation. Make the insulation to fit inside the roof, ie 460 x 460 (or even slightly bigger).

If you make a square to fit inside the crownboard edge there may be all sorts of possible interferences and gaps left.

Another benefit of top bee space - my coverboards are flat.

Regards, RAB

Yes I'm switching to Langs next year having used top bee space at another beeks.
Thanks for this as I was going to cut the insulation 430 x 430 so that it was inside the raisers. I see your point.

To continue the insulation theme -
insulation on top of the crown board prevents condensation on the underside of the crown boards dripping onto the cluster, however NOT insulating the sides of the brood box causes condensation this can then run down and safely out through the OMF. It is also a water source for the bees if they need to dilute granulated stores so they do not need to go out for water and risk getting chilled.
The only time I would consider side insulation is for a Nuc where the cluster is small.
:cheers2: Mike

The only time I would consider side insulation is for a Nuc where the cluster is small.
:cheers2: Mike

It does not go so.

When hive makes brood, it keeps hive temperature 32C. The better insulation in whole hive, the bigger is brood area. And the biggest advantage comes in bigger colonies.

I know that because I use terrarium heaters in bottom in spring.

What do you think if your home has insulation only on roof? Do you think that is warm inside. And door open?

How Insulation Works in house

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/ins_01.html

Last edited:
Is honey tainted by Apiguard?....Answer

:) Part of this thread was triggered by my concern that any capped honey produced during the Varroa Apiguard treatment might be tainted . "Murphy's law" then prevailed and I ended up last week with a full surplus super of capped honey laid down during the Apiguarding period. So I took the bull by the horns and spoke to a very senior chap at Vita in the R&D department. I expected him to tut-tut and say Elf & Safety says "@$*£!". So it was very refreshing that he said the treatment was based on a natural product, did not damage the honey and was not toxic in any way. It might possibly leave a slight tang which if you left the extracted honey to breathe for a while could well dissipate. His advice was simply to extract it, perhaps let it stand for a few days and then taste it!!

Thymol not toxic in any way,you must of been speaking to the cleaner.

Vita quote a withdrawl period of 0 days....

That may be so,but i don't think that means treat with supers of honey on,then okay.
This guy said thymol was not toxic in any way,so why the warnings like,harmful,corrosive,harmful if swallowed,causes burns,incase of contact with eyes,rinse immediately with water and seek medical advice,after contact with skin,wash immediately,wear suitible protective clothing,gloves and eye protection. And thats not toxic.

Thymol not toxic in any way,you must of been speaking to the cleaner.
Yes, we all know Thymol is toxic full on, but so is a bottle of aspirin. I assume the Apiguard delivery method and the dosage % against volumes of product must be so weak that any toxicity is rendered negligible! It is easy to be curt, why not ring Vita,for whom the product is maufactured in Europe, yourself? I am only repeating what I was told by the head of R & D....look at the contact list on the web site http://www.vita-europe.com/. You will see the cleaner's details there with Dr as his title!

Here is some scientific......
http://www.beekeeping.org/articles/us/thymol.htm

Residues in honey after application of thymol against
Varroa using the Frakno Thymol frame

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-PEST/2006/January/Day-18/p436.htm

VI. Determination of Safety for U.S. Population, Infants and Children

1. U.S. population. The Agency has determined that there is a
reasonable certainty that no harm will result from aggregate exposure
to residues of thymol to the U.S. population
. This includes all
anticipated dietary exposures and other non-occupational exposures for
which there is reliable information. The Agency arrived at this
conclusion based on the relatively low levels of mammalian dietary
toxicity associated with thymol, its FDA approval as a direct food
additive, a preservative and indirect food additive of adhesives and
GRAS listing as a spice, natural oil, oleoresin, or natural extract and
information and/or data which demonstrate that the U.S. population is
potentially exposed to 938 times more thymol from the consumption of
foodstuff such as ice cream, cola beverages and candy, to which thymol
is intentionally added, than from thymol consumed in honey (Refs. 22,
23, and MRID 46043510). These data indicate that thymol residues found
in food and foodstuffs exist at significantly higher concentrations
that those residues levels resulting from the use of thymol as a
pesticide. For these reasons, the Agency has determined that thymol
residues in honey will not pose any significant dietary risk under
reasonable foreseeable circumstances residue.
2. Infants and children. FFDCA section 408 provides that EPA shall
apply an additional tenfold margin of exposure (safety) for infants and
children in the case of threshold effects to account for prenatal and
postnatal toxicity and the completeness of the data base unless the EPA
determines that a different margin of exposure (safety) will be safe
for infants and children. Based on all the reliable available
information the Agency reviewed on thymol, the Agency concludes that
there are no residual uncertainties for prenatal/postnatal toxicity
resulting from thymol and that thymol has relatively low toxicity to
mammals from a dietary standpoint, including infants and children thus,
there are no threshold effects of concern and an additional margin of
safety is not necessary to protect infants and children.

From that research it seems its okay to use thymol in the hives all year round if needed,does not make any difference if the supers are on the hives or not.So why do the apiguard instructions say not to use when supers are on,yet a 0 withdrawal period for honey,kind of a contradiction.

From that research it seems its okay to use thymol in the hives all year round if needed,does not make any difference if the supers are on the hives or not.So why do the apiguard instructions say not to use when supers are on,yet a 0 withdrawal period for honey,kind of a contradiction.
'covering their *rse' perhaps?

Beekeepers have used thymol tens of years. Popular is to add it to the winter syrup.

Only problem is that thymol gives extra odour to the honey if you sell it to consumption.

But what I am worried, you have lots of learning how to overwinter bees.
Quite awfull to read. And don't say that Island is different.

Last edited:
Yes thats it our weather is different,we winter the bee's much the same as you i suspect,feed them up on syrup,add mouse guards ect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back