Winter solstice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Floss beat me to it on another post, but here we are on the 'shortest day' of the year.

Things should get better from now on? I don't think that is necessarily so, or likely (unless ' less cold but wet' is better!), well not for a few weeks yet.

Last year I saw bees out, flying strongly, on this date and actually saw pollen being taken in on the 22nd and 24th. No remote likelihood of that here, this year. They were then tucked up until about the middle of Feb when flying and foraging began at a pace.

What are your plans for next year? Mine is to expand by maybe two or three colonies and do some queen rearing. And when do you intend prodding the bees into spring brooding mode (weather permitting)?

Regards, RAB

I will let the bees dictate to me- and when they are emerging- will give 1:1 syrup to help flush their digestive system. Will make sure water available within 20 yds. I dont need pollen patties as they have access to a mass of crocus.

Am going for queen breeding- but also (having got a grant of £2500 for the new apiary:cheers2:) getting the new place up and running to establish a good teaching side to our local Assoc. A busy year ahead.

Heather,you got a grant?
Who was it from?
Have you earmarked it all yet?
What plans do you have for it?

:cheers2:
yep, From Sussex Community Foundation- wonderfully understanding.
Turned down by 2 smaller grant areas and been turned down again from lottery - going in for the 3rd time there!!! - still waiting to hear from the Co-op, and another Sussex option.
We are buying weed suppressant material, to use chippings over, 8 hives and 10 suits, a shed and all the extra bits needed to establish the new apiary from where we can teach. We can do bee taster days and bee courses all to improve bee keeping standards, and bee health. Busy year :hurray:

hope all goes well with the project, don't forget the photo's!! :)

Latest posts

Back