Winter Preperation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd look at the weather forecast first. Might there be a late flow an forage season?

Then I'd look to see how full (or not) the brood box is. If it's chocker, leave the super on a while.

I would be inclined to remove it soon.

Dusty

I'd look at the weather forecast first. Might there be a late flow an forage season?

Then I'd look to see how full (or not) the brood box is. If it's chocker, leave the super on a while.

I would be inclined to remove it soon.

:iagree: And keep an eye on local Ivy flowers. You might not want that nectar in your nice summer honey because it's strongly flavoured.

@ Davelin Hi - can you clarify.... you said when all feeding done. Do you not feed all through the winter?
I sensed a cold patch and put a feeder on this week, surprised to find they wolfed a whole pound of sugar two days running so assume they're either hungry or taking the lazy way out of all that boring flying about.

@ Davelin Hi - can you clarify.... you said when all feeding done. Do you not feed all through the winter?
I sensed a cold patch and put a feeder on this week, surprised to find they wolfed a whole pound of sugar two days running so assume they're either hungry or taking the lazy way out of all that boring flying about.

This is what I do as a new beek, my first winter was last year, and check stores, and I feed Ambrosia syrup, in a miller/ashworth feeder, and I regularly heft (lift) throughout the winter, every week/two weeks, to get used to feeling the weight in the hive, I've also made my self a lifting kit, with luggage scales, and drilled holes in the floor, and lift both sides, and add the weights, gives me an idea of total weight in the hive throughout the winter at the start (full of stores) (because I'm not experienced at the winter hefting game yet!) and during the winter, I record the weights, in my record books, I have stores of fondant (2.5kg ambrosia), just in case a hive feels really light, and last year, dropped a 2.5kg block of fondant, in the mild march, which they consumed...

I do not feed all through the winter.

I opened in late december/early january, after check varroa levels, and treated/trickeled with Oxalic Acid (trickle2!)

So that's what I did, and got them through last year, although was very mild, I also have kingspan ontop of crownboard, and other insulation.

This is what I did right or wrong, it works for me.....I must admit hefting for a new beek, is difficult (well I found it difficult), so I checked weight.....and recorded....

Last edited:

As previous replies

They should not need any feed yet and ivy is just coming out round here so I won't be feeding for another 2-3 weeks. If you put feeder on they will take down as much as you give them until the hive is full.

I weigh the hive with a luggage scale and go through and check how many frames of stores in bb, and then calculate how much feed to give. Feeders only on for a week or so. No feed over winter except fondant late winter if needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back