Winter Prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Is there any issue storing a super or broodbox that is full of capped frames over winter with the view of giving back to the bees come springtime to save feeding syrup?

I was considering to wrap the entire box in plastic and keep somewhere cool for the winter and put back on once the bees have worked their way to the top of the hive.

Once treated to ensure no problem with wax moth, then go ahe ad. Not so keen on the idea of wrapping in plastic. I stack mine in a shed with a board top and bottom with ratchet straps to ensure a tight close.

Why do you think they would need feeding syrup in the spring?
But to answer your question, I often store brood frames packed with stores for use as emergency feeding or feeding young nucs. They are usually frames of stores still remaining from the winter which I remove in spring to give the queen more room to lay.
I just store them outside in a spare polynuc (with the entrance closed 😁 )

Why do you think they would need feeding syrup in the spring?
But to answer your question, I often store brood frames packed with stores for use as emergency feeding or feeding young nucs. They are usually frames of stores still remaining from the winter which I remove in spring to give the queen more room to lay.
I just store them outside in a spare polynuc (with the entrance closed 😁 )
More if they are low on stores and need a top up.

I combined my two hives as one was weak. I had not intended to take a huge amount of honey to avoid feeding syrup going into the winter but I don't want to have the hive stacked too high either to have less space for the bees to heat.

Regarding staking supers for winter and avoiding wax moths in them. What about covering the support, before you add the supers with a cloth like breathable weed killer. Maybe even covering them on top before adding the roof. It could avoid mice and wax moths without chemicals?
Please let me know if that could work. Thank you

Mine are stacked on a plastic tray with cheap poly sheets every three supers. I guess a good quality weed suppressant might work?

Extract them separately from the main crop and feed back to the bees.

don't want to have the hive stacked too high either to have less space for the bees to heat
Depends on your brood configuration going into winter: single National deep? Double? Langstroth? 14x12 National?

Depends to some extent on colony strength: boxes rammed with bees? Still foraging?

Depends also on your totting of stores on board nearer the time (which is a long way off).

Extract like any other frame. No idea why you would want to feed back. The fact it’s a part filled frame/box is irrelevant.
I presumed part filled and uncapped.
I’m reducing water content on five boxes.All hives have a similar super on top still

Give them a shake if it comes out it’s nectar if it stays in its honey……alternatively use 1 of those new fangled refractors😉check a frame a box shake test the rest it’s as complicated as you need to get.

I presumed part filled and uncapped.
Same - it's the water content that counts not whether it's capped. Had quite a few frames of totally uncapped stores last week, much part filled as well all of it waaaay below 20%

One can't rely on the shake method, a refractometer is best to use.
I shook some frames last week and nothing moved, calibrated and tested and it was 21.5%.

Give them a shake if it comes out it’s nectar if it stays in its honey……alternatively use 1 of those new fangled refractors😉check a frame a box shake test the rest it’s as complicated as you need to get.
All around 19/20 %

Can anyone recommend a source for a refractometer? I assume the cheap eBay ones are not worth the money?

Can anyone recommend a source for a refractometer? I assume the cheap eBay ones are not worth the money?
Most of the cheap ebay one from UK suppliers are OK (I have one) - if anthing goes wrong you have redress.
The more expensive ones often are cheap ones sold on ebay - but at a higher price.
Almost all made in China.

Watch out for speccification - you need one suitable for honey.

Latest posts

Back