Winter Prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I read somewhere that it helps bees keep warm if they have a shelter build around the hive so I thought I'd give it a try. Any comments or tips on the final result would be welcome.
Wind-chill is the biggest killer around here (1000' above sea level) so I put together a box to place over the hive for winter. It's lined with 30mm insulation and the top will be felted. There is a 50mm gap all around the hive to allow air flow. I have built it high enough to include the stand, in my case blocks, and left a slot to allow bees to move freely.
My questions are:
1. Will it do any good/harm?
2. Should I leave the air gap or fill it with more insulation?
3. Are there likely any problems with condensation?
4. If there are any early flights, will the returning bees find the "new look" hive?
5. Have I just created a pile of firewood?

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 30
  • vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 30
Is the outside waterproof?
This is what my wooden hives get.
Picture is unpainted
View attachment 27155
Those look cosy!
Yes. The outside is feather-edge fencing board off-cuts which will be painted and the roof is to be felted. Is the airgap between the hive and inner wall of the shelter a good idea of best filled?

I have a 1cm gap between mine otherwise impossible to get off. Just make sure that the top is well insulated so that it is warmer than the sides.
After All a WBC is similar

This is useful to see, thanks. What’s on the roof?

Do you get many winter losses regardless?
The roof comes off and the cosy goes on the crownboard plus an extra layer of Kingspan.
My winter losses are small. Where I fall down is getting queens mated in the rubbish weather.
Last year was appalling

The roof comes off and the cosy goes on the crownboard plus an extra layer of Kingspan.
My winter losses are small. Where I fall down is getting queens mated in the rubbish weather.
Last year was appalling

Ah right, so roof removed altogether. Is it just a sheet of 6mm ply on the top, it’s hard to tell?

Ah yes. I’d forgotten why we did that. Stan says it was to stop the straps cutting into the top.

Good idea. I guess the foil on the insulation board should be rain proof so no need for a proper roof...

Good idea. I guess the foil on the insulation board should be rain proof so no need for a proper roof...
You can seal all the joints with aluminium tape and the whole lot get's a couple of coats of garden paint .. very watertight and long lasting structure ...

Of course... you could save all the faff and go to Polystyrene hives ..... which don't need the additional insulation around the sides ... :)

It is but it degrades in UV so needs painting.
My hives are poly. Husband likes the odd wood hive and I have to keep him sweet.

It is but it degrades in UV so needs painting.
My hives are poly. Husband likes the odd wood hive and I have to keep him sweet.

I’m with him, I do like wood.

So if the roof is removed and the cozy goes straight on the crownboard, what do you do about winter feed?

Sorry if this is obvious, I’ve never taken a hive through winter. Do you just spread fondant on the top bars...or leave them with a super of honey under the brood box...or something else?

I’m with him, I do like wood.

So if the roof is removed and the cozy goes straight on the crownboard, what do you do about winter feed?

Sorry if this is obvious, I’ve never taken a hive through winter. Do you just spread fondant on the top bars...or leave them with a super of honey under the brood box...or something else?
You make sure they are winter weight before the cosy gets put on. No need to worry about feeding in winter.
40lb of stores will see any colony through
In a Deep that is 7/8 frames. In a 14x12 5

I read somewhere that it helps bees keep warm if they have a shelter build around the hive so I thought I'd give it a try. Any comments or tips on the final result would be welcome.
Wind-chill is the biggest killer around here (1000' above sea level) so I put together a box to place over the hive for winter. It's lined with 30mm insulation and the top will be felted. There is a 50mm gap all around the hive to allow air flow. I have built it high enough to include the stand, in my case blocks, and left a slot to allow bees to move freely.
My questions are:
1. Will it do any good/harm?
2. Should I leave the air gap or fill it with more insulation?
3. Are there likely any problems with condensation?
4. If there are any early flights, will the returning bees find the "new look" hive?
5. Have I just created a pile of firewood?
Dry hive=warm hive. I like it. This has all the good points of the WBC hive, without the faff and hassle.

Latest posts

Back