Winter hive protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
There are bags made specifically to slide over a stack of bricks which roughly equate to the size of a hive. They are designed to protect from snow rain frost and very hard wearing about £6 each
They may require adaption trimming and different makers range from about 460mm square to 550 mm squar x 750 long

You could drape loft insulation over hive then slide one of these over the lot ????
Known as “brick wrap” or “brick bags”

I think they would work quite well but suppliers of £30 hive wraps and or others with more exp may disagree

Certainly a much better solution then the Thornes offering of a Black bin bag for £27.

I am trialling BE's hive wraps at under £3 per hive. Wooden nucs only.

What are they made of? Looks like damp proof course on the website. My father in law wraps his favourite hive in that every year. No idea if it helps but that hive is usually the strongest in the spring. I assume the black attracts the heat and helps warm up the hive on sunny days.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on them? Was thinking of giving them a go too. Hives are already covered in cork insulation, but I thought this might help with any little draughts/gaps.

Looks just to be a roll of visqueen/DPC cut to the right length. Pics below from the BE website, and Wickes.

1632381020380.png 1632381042347.png

Oddly I was talking the other day to a newcomer to the village and he was telling me that his father back in the early 70's used to wrap his hives for winter. I am guessing a bit here but it may have crossed over from the colder American/Canadian states/provinces. I've never done it but then I saw the warmth light many years ago.

PH

I assume the black attracts the heat and helps warm up the hive on sunny days.
...black being the most effective way of radiating and thus losing heat from the hive at any time the outside temperaure is lower than the temperature inside the hive ~35C

I've successfully used builders' one ton bags (e.g sand and gravel) for several years. The hives are insulated and there doesn't appear any problem with condensation. I did try DPC but it became brittle.

...black being the most effective way of radiating and thus losing heat from the hive at any time the outside temperaure is lower than the temperature inside the hive ~35C
I paint all my hives in white masonry paint. Very little heat escape by radiation , ( and good reflection in sumner)It’s important to keep hives completely waterproof. You don’t want sodden wood with low internal temperatures.

We use 25mm recticil, which we painted ,brilliant last year, will use the same on our two other hives

Latest posts

Back