Winter hive protection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Markthebuilder 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
There are bags made specifically to slide over a stack of bricks which roughly equate to the size of a hive. They are designed to protect from snow rain frost and very hard wearing about £6 each
They may require adaption trimming and different makers range from about 460mm square to 550 mm squar x 750 long

You could drape loft insulation over hive then slide one of these over the lot ????
Known as “brick wrap” or “brick bags”

I think they would work quite well but suppliers of £30 hive wraps and or others with more exp may disagree

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Certainly a much better solution then the Thornes offering of a Black bin bag for £27.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
I am trialling BE's hive wraps at under £3 per hive. Wooden nucs only.

DaveG23 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
What are they made of? Looks like damp proof course on the website. My father in law wraps his favourite hive in that every year. No idea if it helps but that hive is usually the strongest in the spring. I assume the black attracts the heat and helps warm up the hive on sunny days.

TomH 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Be interested to hear your thoughts on them? Was thinking of giving them a go too. Hives are already covered in cork insulation, but I thought this might help with any little draughts/gaps.

Looks just to be a roll of visqueen/DPC cut to the right length. Pics below from the BE website, and Wickes.

1632381020380.png 1632381042347.png

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Oddly I was talking the other day to a newcomer to the village and he was telling me that his father back in the early 70's used to wrap his hives for winter. I am guessing a bit here but it may have crossed over from the colder American/Canadian states/provinces. I've never done it but then I saw the warmth light many years ago.

PH

Apiarisnt 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I assume the black attracts the heat and helps warm up the hive on sunny days.
...black being the most effective way of radiating and thus losing heat from the hive at any time the outside temperaure is lower than the temperature inside the hive ~35C

coffindodger 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I've successfully used builders' one ton bags (e.g sand and gravel) for several years. The hives are insulated and there doesn't appear any problem with condensation. I did try DPC but it became brittle.

Tony Slater 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
...black being the most effective way of radiating and thus losing heat from the hive at any time the outside temperaure is lower than the temperature inside the hive ~35C
I paint all my hives in white masonry paint. Very little heat escape by radiation , ( and good reflection in sumner)It’s important to keep hives completely waterproof. You don’t want sodden wood with low internal temperatures.

Nannysbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
We use 25mm recticil, which we painted ,brilliant last year, will use the same on our two other hives

Barnowl 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am using closed cell foam camping mats-£7 each . Easy to cut to size and secured with bungees.

Latest posts