Winter feeding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Is anyone winter feeding yet?

I put some feeders on this week after the warning from the bee unit.

I'm thinking I may have jumped the gun a bit now though.

My hives had totally demolished the apipasta packs I put on last week though so my plan for tomorrow is to go through tomorrow and check for stores. Then add another apipasta pack and hold off feeding anymore if they have enough for a bit. I'm concerned about clogging up the brood nest.

My hives are all on commercials most single brood.

I put some feeders on this week after the warning from the bee unit.

I tend to feed my hives when I know they need it, rather than wait for the NBU to tell me - their warnings either come too late or at a time they're not needed.
In fact I know of someone a few years ago who was very upset as their bees were starving, but they hadn't had the email yet to tell them to feed :banghead:

Last edited:
Did you look through the broods before you fed them?
Not in any depth to be honest I had a quick look for eggs to make sure they are queen right and didn't do much more. I'll go through them all tomorrow and check what stores they have currently.

I guess if they have enough for a bit I'll leave them to it. And check in a week or so.

Personally I stick fondant on about now - already have it on some of the hives, adding on the rest next week. Can't go wrong. No brood-nest-backfilling, no robbing/spilling, and if they don't need it then they won't take it. Let them decide.

Personally I stick fondant on about now - already have it on some of the hives, adding on the rest next week. Can't go wrong. No brood-nest-backfilling, no robbing/spilling, and if they don't need it then they won't take it. Let them decide.
They don't need as much honey as they collect, otherwise we would have no crop, but they still continue to bring in the nectar.

If you are on single broods of whatever type the time to check for stores is as you take the supers off. Single broods often don't carry much in the way of stores as it will have been put above the excluder, indeed this year I fed mine right after removing the supers as they were very light. Feeding will keep them brooding and help the build up for winter. Singles or doubles, you pays your money and make your choice, single more honey less stores, double less honey less feeding to do!

They don't need as much honey as they collect, otherwise we would have no crop, but they still continue to bring in the nectar.

Yes, but nectar drives them nuts, whereas fondant doesn't seem to have the same "psychological" effect, at least in my experience. Try feeding it during a strong nectar flow and see what I mean.

Is anyone winter feeding yet?

No, Ash. Heavy feed now will be stored and so reduce room for autumn brood laying; it's better to feed slowly over a longer period.

I've been feeding nucs thin syrup and hefting single boxes: both can run short easily unless you're near HBalsam, and until the ivy arrives there's nothing much coming in unless you're on heather.

Interpreting Tim's point single more honey less stores, double less honey less feeding to do it's easy to see that double brood reduces the risk of starvation at any time of year. A Commercial brood may offer space for both extra stores and laying, but check both before feeding more.

I guess nothing much is coming in at Romford; I'll be in Dagenham and Upminster today and on the lookout for flowering ivy; seems that it's early this year.

Last edited:
I’ve read over feeding around now could induce late swarming. Perhaps another myth JB?
I intend to vape into September then feed from there.

Bees will take fondant down and store it if they are active and there is room in the brood box.
Plenty of people put on a whole block and use that as their autumn feed.

Well I've just got back from checking through. Have removed all but one feeder. Four colonies with enough stores to last until next inspection . The only weak one is a colony I rescued from a treefall a few weeks ago who have had to effectively start from scratch.
All down on reduced entrances (I never open them up) and I've sat and watched for a while and all are easily batting away any wasps that get near.

All have pollen packs on.

Bees will take fondant down and store it if they are active and there is room in the brood box.
Plenty of people put on a whole block and use that as their autumn feed.

Yes, if they have significant space, they clearly need the fondant, and will take it, as I implied.

Err Then why do my mating nucs full of stores eat all their fondant?
And my nucs as well?

They stuff everywhere with fondant...As for not robbing fondant, 12 mini nucs last year and various nucs over the years suggest it is fable (again).

Latest posts

Back