Winter Configuration

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what is your preferred winter format

• National, Single Brood

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • National, Single Brood plus full super BELOW

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • National, Single Brood plus full super ABOVE

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • National, Double Brood

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Large Format (eg Comm, Lang, Dadant etc), NO SUPER

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Large Format, Super BELOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Large Format, Super ABOVE

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Other, please post to specify

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ok - lets try and sum up people's opinions from other threads.

How are you leaving your hives to fend for themselves this winter? (you can tick multiple choices)

Last edited:
I have a single National hive and for my first over wintering I'm going to lift the single brood box and place an empty super underneath. The theory (so I'm told) is that will allow the cluster to hang down without touching the OMF and so reduces the draft for them. I have no supers of honey so that isn't an option for me this year. Wish me luck!

Langstroth BB with super full of honey underneath.

Local "gurus" (The old and wise ones from Assoc) assure me the Bees eat the honey from the bottom up leaving an empty super in the spring and HM + brood nicely in BB.

I don't know enough to argue - but its what I did last year (which worked ie Seemed to get through winter and off to a good start this year) and it seems to make sense.

I am not bothered about extracting every ounce of honey so am happy to leave them a full super plus whatever they squeeze into the BB themselves - I would rather they had too much than too little.

What is the value of this poll/opinions?
It gives no information to winter the hive.

"What is the value of this poll/opinions?
It gives no information to winter the hive."

well it seems to be confirming your belief that a small single chamber is best!

My four Nationals (2 are Deep Nartionals) are all set up with brood and a half then a crown board and extra super above with part filled frames they can either fill if we have a heavy ivy flow or move down any remaining stores before my final inspection when it will be removed. (No queen excluders fitted)

My top bar is in a class of its own.

My poly lang is double medium brood chambers but will add full deep chambers in spring and use the mediums as supers later in 2011.

One colony transferred into a deep national nuc today as it was hit hard by wasps and reduced from 8 good frames to 4 in colony size.

What is the value of this poll/opinions?
It gives no information to winter the hive.

The value is in seeking the opinions and views of others by seeking others opinions we can learn.

What is the value of your post?
It doesn't answer the question posed.

"What is the value of this poll/opinions?
It gives no information to winter the hive."

well it seems to be confirming your belief that a small single chamber is best!

it depends on the size of colony. The is no " the best" situation. my belief? after 47 beekeeping years i do believe nothing. I have many configuring in my hives. Minimum size colony is only criterium when i prepare them for winter. I join colonies to achieve good size wintering cluster.

Luckily we don't have Proportional Representation in the UK yet (for the important things) so single national is currently "winning"!!!!

Luckily we don't have Proportional Representation in the UK yet (for the important things) so single national is currently "winning"!!!!

is it some compettion?

Calculate those 2-box system together. They are as many.
Main issue is the wintering space. It means nothig if super is under or up or is it super or broodbox. when the colony is big enough it takes care itself.

Not sure of the use of the word preferred Doc. Should I be voting the way I intend to winter this year, or the way I would like to do next year when I've hopefully had opportunity to move to larger frames and bigger colonies.

I have just seen the new manefesto from the National multiple box coalition party. They are saying that if they get into power they are going to force admin to drop the first past the post approach in future forum pols.

;)

2 on double brood
Some; one brood with super under
A couple with single brood
One 14 x 12.
Some nucs

Depends on the bees.

WBC - Standard BB, with super under...I think - but may change when I talk to HM...wise advice is always heeded.

Voting intentions

rYou must vote based on your current intended practice. Like in politics you must vote on personal preference and what the manifesto tells you. that doesn't mean your CB won't be axed 5 months later!!!!!!

On a serious note just wanted to get a feel of what people were upto in the real world this year.

Perhaps there could be a single national/dadant coalition? if it all goes pear shaped the minor partner (the foreign interloper) can be blamed!!!

I use single BBs on both the Langstroths and the Nationals

Without wishing to put a spanner in the works the reason the National options are winning is perhaps directly connected to the number of forum members who have National hives.

Latest posts

Back