Winter Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
When have most of the winter bees died off ?
The reason i ask is opening a hive at this time of year can be misleading, one of mine has masses of bees in, on all combs, do i think bugger they are out of room must put a super on, or do i think thats ok a large percentage are winter girls who will soon die off.

Sorry, but as i got my bees last year in May, i have not inspected a colony that has overwintered.

I don't know how it goes in Uk.
In my hives when broodings starts after winter, all winter bees have died after 2 months. Or if I calculate after one month when new bees start to emerge. They liberate old bees to field work and they do not live long.

In this situation new bees compensate old bees and I need not to enlarge the hive. But soon happens the rapid enlargening.

First enlargening I make under the brood box. I need not much care, is it good or not, because the heat rises up and it keeps brood area warm.

In 2 store hives it often seems that the hive is very full, but when I take the upper off, the lower store is empty.

I pay quite much attention when I enlarge the hive. I may loose much brood if I do it in wrong way. I may add over the brood box another box but bees are not able to occupye it.

Sweetums.

Never mind how many combs the BEES are covering at the moment when you look in bonny early afternoon warmth. How many frames of brood are there in what size of hive?

PH

Hi PH
5 frames in a Jumbo Langstroth

Hi PH
5 frames in a Jumbo Langstroth

In that case I use to put movable inner wall to restrict the room according bee cluster.
It helps a lot build up. Wall is styrofoam board

tiny.jpg

Latest posts

Back