Winteing nucs.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Sill newbee but after much reading of all the sites and modern bee approaches
could anyone maybe with a scientific bee background answer these few questions conclusively so I don't have to read through a hundred different answers which may possible work in other parts of the world but not appropriate for here.I live in north west Ireland a lot of rain here all year and windy most of the year with a lot of storms.30 degrees Celsius would be very warm for our climate it rarely freezes here and minus 7 would be really exceptional if we experience these low temps the temps would rise in afternoon.
Mesh floors have no drawbacks for me?
The most appropriate way to over winter both large hives and five frame nucs is with a mesh floor sitting on four inch skirt and the hive insulated on all sides and top
?

hello Dano, welcome to the forum.

I'm not the right person to try and answer you question but this stands out...

could anyone maybe with a scientific bee background answer these few questions conclusively so I don't have to read through a hundred different answers which may possible work in other parts of the world but not appropriate for here.

you'll never get just the one answer because one single answer is usually not the only correct answer, usually you'll have to decide for yourself which answer is correct for you. Good luck :cheers2:

Mesh floors have no drawbacks for me? Correct

The most appropriate way Not necessarily correct.

to over winter both large hives and five frame nucs is with a mesh floor sitting on four inch skirt and the hive insulated on all sides and top? A good option. I might make provision to reduce the full mesh area on a nuc. I would likely prefer a super if they are standard National brood frames. I even give them a 1/2 super with 14x12 nucs these days. Nothing like pampering them!

The 100mm skirt is just one way to reduce draughts. There are other alternatives.

Regards, RAB

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.I use commercial 16 by 10.Will knock up 1/2 super for nucs.Draughts, could you please tell me the alternatives?What size would you reduce the five frame 16 by 10 nuc mesh floor too?

Given your climatic factor is timber going to keep your bees dry and warm?

I would seriously consider poly.

(But then I would say that)

PH

Latest posts

Back