Winged monster found in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deerless

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Have inspected today and found a Large, winged black monster, dead inside the hive. I would say hornet but it is totally black and has a very large pronounced stinger. Any ideas anyone.
I have taken a few pictures alondside a dead bee for scale, but I do not know how to load them onto a thread.
If anyone can instruct on how to do this or post them for me, I would be most grateful.

Deerless.

Have inspected today and found a Large, winged black monster, dead inside the hive. I would say hornet but it is totally black and has a very large pronounced stinger. Any ideas anyone.
I have taken a few pictures alondside a dead bee for scale, but I do not know how to load them onto a thread.
If anyone can instruct on how to do this or post them for me, I would be most grateful.

Deerless.

If you have the photo on your computer go to post and then look down the bottom of the page where you will find 'manage attachments' - go to 'Browse' and find the file on your computer and then 'Upload'. Dead easy ...

If you have the photo on your computer go to post and then look down the bottom of the page where you will find 'manage attachments' - go to 'Browse' and find the file on your computer and then 'Upload'. Dead easy ...

But don't use the quick reply button or you can't do it.

Tried to uplaod pictures but keep getting error message that some token is missing.

I have looked at the Wood Wasp pictures and definately not, this thing is much heavier built. When I say pronounced stinger, I mean that a stinger can clearly be seen protruding from the abdomen as in a wasp stinger It is not an oviopositor, I think that is how you spell it.

I can send pictures to anyone who may have an idea or could post them on my behalf.

Deerless

Bumble bee
at this time of the year they go exploring, try and get into the hive and get stung to death the bees then go to work on her and after a few days all the hair has gone and you have a large black (slightly shiny) insect usually near the entrance - i think they are too heavy for the bees to handle. At first glance it looks like a big beetle - had a few of them in the hives last year

Bumble bee
at this time of the year they go exploring, try and get into the hive and get stung to death the bees then go to work on her and after a few days all the hair has gone and you have a large black (slightly shiny) insect usually near the entrance - i think they are too heavy for the bees to handle. At first glance it looks like a big beetle - had a few of them in the hives last year

I agree, usually get a few in the hives every year.

Tried to uplaod pictures but keep getting error message that some token is missing.

I have looked at the Wood Wasp pictures and definately not, this thing is much heavier built. When I say pronounced stinger, I mean that a stinger can clearly be seen protruding from the abdomen as in a wasp stinger It is not an oviopositor, I think that is how you spell it.

I can send pictures to anyone who may have an idea or could post them on my behalf.

Deerless

Hi there ... not sure what this means - perhaps Admin or Hivemaker might know ?

deerless,
You have won we have had our twenty question. Just show us the pic now.

I have seen the picture and looks like cris ibbo is spot on 10 out of 10 i have never seen one... Are they rare

Thank goodness - the suspense was unbearable. Now we only need to know how dangerous they are to our hives!

Latest posts

Back