Winchester Bee Collection - Free

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trulli1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Afternoon,

Had a call from a lady by the name of Shelly who has bees in her shed, I asked about the bees colour, etc, and it sounds like honeybees as she mentioned they are building comb in the shed.

She wants them removed ASAP.

Anyone interested in getting them?, free bees...

Phone her at 01962620095

21 Chatham road
Stanmore
Winchester
so22 4ee

Admin hope you dont mind me doing this? I am London based, Winchester is a bit to far for me to travel.

I've left her a voicemail. No reply yet.

If you can contact her via a different route, please PM me.

FG

Just spoke to her again, prior to leaving, and she now thinks they are Bumble bees. She is fairly convinced they are comb-building, AND that they are black, white and yellow and fairly fluffy.

Question 1) is she right? are these bumble bees (from her description)?

Question 2) what should she do about it? She had a call from someone before me who wasn't very sympathetic, but said they'd remove them for a price.

I'd still like to make sure she gets the right advice, but I'm not keen to do 3 hrs of driving if there's nothing I can do when I get there.

FG

I personally wouldnt waste 3 hours of your driving time if she isnt sure now.

I tried to ask her as many questions as possible, but I dont think she really knows what she is talking about, not her fault. When I called her she was convinced they were honeybees (her words), I asked she wasnt maybe mistaken with Bumble Bees - which she said no, they are building comb all over the shed.

Maybe we can get her to send a mms or email a picture of the bees.

OK,
update from the bumblebee story :)

A bloke is visiting her tomorrow morning with a box to remove them, so I guess:

1) he knows they are bumblebees;
2) he isn't going to wipe them out;
3) he probably knows what he's doing.

Seems like a result.

No sweaty, cut-out madness for me though - I may even have to go to back to work :-(

FG

Trulli1,
she just told me they were building comb in a patch on the floor. I asked her about the comb-building in the first call, but assumed they were under the roof and didn't ask her where it was.

I guess that's a good first question from now on. I guess they look like this:

insidethenestSM.jpg

Wasted call out.

Had a call today from a bloke who lives about 10 miles from me asking to come collect some "Honey Bees" in his garden that had been there for a few days. I asked all the standard questions and got all the right answers.

Including -

Q-Can you see any white combs
A-Yes three combs they are ...... ...... ......

Great! I'm on my way.

Within seconds of seeing this so called swarm they are bumble bees going into an air-brick in his house.

I asked where the comb he so expertly described was?
His reply left me floored.

Every time I ring some one up to remove them as soon as I say bumble bees they say they won't touch them and can't because they are behind the air-brick. So now your ere can you get em out.

I smiled and said No, thanks for wasting my time. Good Bye.

His reply
Well F O then you W I'll ring some one else.

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Then had another call in the same area for bees, I didn't bother to ask any questions as I was still floored and just round the corner and he had the same problem with bumble bees behind an air-brick.

Duped twice in one day ! :dupe:

Wasted call out.

Had a call today from a bloke who lives about 10 miles from me asking to come collect some "Honey Bees" in his garden that had been there for a few days. I asked all the standard questions and got all the right answers.

Including -

Q-Can you see any white combs
A-Yes three combs they are ...... ...... ......

Great! I'm on my way.

Within seconds of seeing this so called swarm they are bumble bees going into an air-brick in his house.

I asked where the comb he so expertly described was?
His reply left me floored.

Every time I ring some one up to remove them as soon as I say bumble bees they say they won't touch them and can't because they are behind the air-brick. So now your ere can you get em out.

I smiled and said No, thanks for wasting my time. Good Bye.

His reply
Well F O then you W I'll ring some one else.

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Then had another call in the same area for bees, I didn't bother to ask any questions as I was still floored and just round the corner and he had the same problem with bumble bees behind an air-brick.

Duped twice in one day ! :dupe:
Hi Mike,
I was asked by another beek (who lives further away and said he'd give me a shout for swarms local to me:.)) if I could go and collect and rehome a bumbles nest. I didn't have a car so couldn't get there but I was informed that the person was more than happy to pay £40 as asked by the original beek.
I was then called out to honey bees, unfortunatly they were inaccessable IMO. (Under a continuous top floor frontage of 8 houses covered with concrete tiles).
This callout was by same beek, also £40 agreed, (I only took £10 tho for time & petrol wasted, was told it was under window ledge:.).

Mike,
I'm totally gobsmacked - people like that don't deserve helping.

The lady with the bees at the beginning of this thread was very keen to let me know that they were bumble bees, once she had found out - even leaving me voicemails to prevent a wasted trip.

FG

All my bumble calls have ended up with the "owners" agreeing to leave them alone and let them die out naturally. Very pleasing. :D

PH

All my bumble calls have ended up with the "owners" agreeing to leave them alone and let them die out naturally. Very pleasing. :D

PH

:iagree:

When you are talking to some of the public who genuinely care about all types of bees.

What sort of bees are they in the picture?

I think the picture appearing in this thread is just a bumble bee picture off the internet, and not the bees under the floor in Kent, or wherever.

If they are the bees under the floor in Kent, it's a new species to the UK!

Quite right.

I just wanted an example of floor-based comb building to show what the differences could be: I thought it might be helpful to people asking for honey bee confirmation on the phone:

"are they building comb?" should probably be followed by "does the comb look like a lump of bubbling goo on the floor with bees in it, or fairly straight rows, hanging from the ceiling, or in the corner of the ceiling?"

No protection against time-wasters who are actually TRYING to lie in order to get someone with a beesuit to turn up, of course.

FG

Of course, you could always ask them to take a pic with a mobile phone (presuming they have one, and know how to do it) and send it to you. This has saved us many a "its definitely honey bees!" when its wasps or bumbles.

Unfortunately, didnt save the Honey Bees who were either poisoned ("I thought they was wasps") with wasp killer or ant powder; set alight & burnt; or drowned; or put in a double plastic bag with all the afore mentioned (they were still alive, some of them, after all that, and after 2 weeks!!)

I have to do my hardest not to scream and shout what f*?£&"%g morons they all are.

You gotta love the Great British public:confused: Can't tell the birds from the bees yet still manage to breed:smilielol5:

Latest posts

Back