Wimberries/Bilberries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
Took a short stroll up the "mountain" ( side of the valley) this Pm to pick some wimberries. Managed to get these in approx 30 mins using a berry picker. Will be going back up next week to collect more to make jam etc.

Attachments

• DSC00244.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 17
Took a short stroll up the "mountain" ( side of the valley) this Pm to pick some wimberries. Managed to get these in approx 30 mins using a berry picker. Will be going back up next week to collect more to make jam etc.
What's a berry picker sounds intriging

Trouble with winberries is there's not much pectin so you get very runny jam, and although I do love them they are a little 'flat' in flavour. A friend of mine used to mix them with blackcurrants to give them a little more 'zing'
About 40 years ago I picked over 100 lbs of them over the summer holidays and my mother sold them for me in the shop for £1.00 a lb. I think that at that time my father's wage as a skilled carpenter was something like £20.00 a week so it was an absolute fortune.

Trouble with winberries is there's not much pectin so you get very runny jam, and although I do love them they are a little 'flat' in flavour. A friend of mine used to mix them with blackcurrants to give them a little more 'zing'
About 40 years ago I picked over 100 lbs of them over the summer holidays and my mother sold them for me in the shop for £1.00 a lb. I think that at that time my father's wage as a skilled carpenter was something like £20.00 a week so it was an absolute fortune.
Every year in this part of Gods Country there is a competition between Maerdy and Ferndale over where the best wimberries are found. Each village claims the bragging rights for their own patch, been going on for years. When I was in the RAF I picked some Bilberries on a heath near RAF Odiham, They were nothing like the wimberries on our hillsides.. As you say "bland".. the ones off the the valley slopes are more acidic in flavour. These days I have very little sense of taste, But I still enjoy a wimberry tart.

Latest posts

Back