Willow question??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon kerr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Could anyone tell me which willow is the one prefered by the bees, I have seen them at the side of the road with big yellow catkins. Any ideas or names etc. Looking to get one planted for the future.

Tar.

Salix caprea (Goat willow)

Don't buy any though, find a willow with some bees on it and take a load of cuttings.

Darrren.

Salix caprea (Goat willow)

Don't buy any though, find a willow with some bees on it and take a load of cuttings.

Darrren.

Salix caprea cutting does not make roots.

Salix fragilis type willows are many and eager to make catkins. Note hat they are boy and girld plants.

Salix fragilis at Kew

tree_salix_fragilis_main.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you get permission first before taking cuttings lol.

Gillybee.

Also think where may plant it. I have many willows of different types and all grow keenly and need controlling. So expect growth and maintenance. Lovely plants though,
Sam

You learn something new every day.
I was told that the big willow opposite my house was a goat willow and i've taken loads of cuttings off of it and stuck them in the ground with a fair amount of success.

I wonder what it is then ?

Darren.

I have 2 very good willows. Another is like jungle plant with its huge leaves. It does not fit to our nature. Another one is more like our trees and I may do secret plantations on others properties.

That "jungle" willow has 3 times as big catkins as Salix caprea. I think that it has been breeded to be "energy tree".

Salix cinerea is similar, and roots fairly well in my experience. If you find some reasonably green-looking twigs underneath bushes in the hedge or wherever, just take them and stick them in some damp ground. They're not gold dust: I doubt anyone will mind parting with a few twigs! If they decide not to grow it's not an expensive loss.

I'm not sure that it's absolutely the most popular willow with the bees, but they seem to like it well enough. It's another "pussy willow" type, and quite attractive. It doesn't grow into a huge tree like S. fragilis or S. alba (although they're both lovely trees if you have the space).

NB My neighbour's hedge was planted by sticking some spare basket willow twigs around the edge of her garden and weaving them together. They grew well, and my bees are now starting to visit it.

This guy has picked many plants and these willows

http://www.hlasek.com/salix_fragilis_d6065.html

Salix_alba_aa4173
Salix_caprea_10710
Salix_caprea_a9425
Salix_caprea_aa4400
Salix_caprea_aa4401
Salix_caprea_af3088
Salix_caprea_e6410
Salix_caprea_e6437
Salix_caprea_e6447
Salix_fragilis_d6065
Salix_herbacea_6361
Salix_myrsinites_6363
Salix_myrtilloides_4945
Salix_polaris_6280
Salix_repens_4949
Salix_reticulata_4947
Salix_reticulata_9017

http://www.hlasek.com/ccflora1an.html

Last edited:

Salix fragilis type willows are many and eager to make catkins. Note hat they are boy and girld plants.

Salix fragilis at Kew

tree_salix_fragilis_main.jpg

This guy has picked many plants and these willows

Salix_alba_aa4173
Salix_caprea_10710
Salix_caprea_a9425
Salix_caprea_aa4400
Salix_caprea_aa4401
Salix_caprea_af3088
Salix_caprea_e6410
Salix_caprea_e6437
Salix_caprea_e6447
Salix_fragilis_d6065
Salix_herbacea_6361
Salix_myrsinites_6363
Salix_myrtilloides_4945
Salix_polaris_6280
Salix_repens_4949
Salix_reticulata_4947
Salix_reticulata_9017

http://www.hlasek.com/ccflora1an.html

I think i'll leave mine unidentified :)

Salix alba is here a popular tree. It has been planted almost in every home yard but when it covers soon the whole garden it will be cutted.

I blooms here at same time as dandelion.

I have just ordered some willow from World of Willow - you can google for the website. I ordered some selections and they do a selection suitable for bees and another which is especially good for catkins. I was very impressed by their service.

My Goat Willow cuttings took but the rabbits grazed them before I could transplant them.....This year bought some plants AND rabbit guards on Ebay .....Cut some hazel poles for support and will try again.....

willow only grows one way two of the most common ways of killing transplants is to not soak the sticks in water first for a week, this gives it time to develope roots whilst still being able to obtain water to grow them with.

the second killer is the simple fact that you planted them upside down. the same way it grows upwards is the same way the cuttings will grow

Yes, goat willow is the best. The bees get masses of pollen from it. It's very easy to propagate from cuttings. No need for pollen supplements if you have goat willow growing nearby.

Latest posts

Back