Willow and nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought I'd start a specific thread as I'm thinking of planting up a large area with goat/grey/pussy willow.

Anyway, I have a very large goat willow tree that's a mass of bees and I also have been planting it in amongst some new hedgebanks. My bees are one them and bringing in large amounts of paleish yellow pollen from it but does anyone know how much nectar it produces?

That is plant with male flowers ( offer only pollen), plant with female flowers offer nectar - a lot IF weather behave. At my place both male and female are awesome if bees can attend them due unstable late winter/early spring weather.. Brood is growing as yeast, and comb " turn white"..

To add about amount of nectar.. A lot of it is burned into spring build up, the rest is part of spring honey extraction. This year also bees got nice part of goat willow ( heavy loads of pollen and nectar) but I presume a lot of it if not all burned later when cold spell strike back. But that is main purpose of willows build up for main forages. When is nice flow of goat willow, when walking around hives all smells on willows ( calming scent of spring ehh..).

Thanks Goran. I did know that they had male and female flowers on different plants but had forgotten.

Now you mention it I've propagated from male plants so most willow around the place is male. I've found one female plant so I'll remember to take cuttings from that.

Certainly there's a strong smell from the male plants. I'm not after a harvest just a useful nectar source for spring build up. This year the willows are doing very well.

If you already have plenty of willow, consider other trees so you get a longer period With nectar. Then less need to feef in dearths. For example lime (linden) is good in late summer, but those are huge trees.

Hawthorn is a mid sized tree / hedge bush , various varieties, spring nectar source.

Loads of choice. I take it you have plenty of water if willow is thriving. What is the soil type? Do you need to consider shading neighbours' gardens or do you have a completely free hand?

This is a woodland setting so I can plant what I like. There's already a good range of trees for later in the year (syc, lime, hawthorn etc).

There's good sources of pollen about as there's a lot of gorse around and the bees are on it one sunny days in Jan.

I'm mainly after nectar ideas for early in the season.

Blackthorn is earlier than hawthorn to flower. I believe nectar output is similar but stand to be corrected.

Wild cherry ( my favorite), wild pear( Pyrus pyraster), plums again if weather allow - swarmed by the bees. Blackthorn at my place.. well, rarely I can see bees on them, but one friend told me that at his place is well attended.. Maybe difference of locality ( at same time other plants are better choice than blackthorn I believe). Of other forest trees, little later come maples and elms are considered also as the ones which offer nectar too. How much and long I don't know but I believe less than above mentioned..

~ Willow flowers are a rich source of nectar, they start to flower very early. S. Caprea, goat willow as early as January, other species are in flower until April providing a constant supply of pollen and nectar when few flowers are available to bees. Pollen is pale yellow/gold to shades of red and purple depending on the species. Both male and female flowers have nectaries, often exuding scented nectar. ~

You may plant many kinds of willow, but there are much differenvies in plants, how they look like and how they bloom.

Some willows take many years before they bloom after planting, and some bloom next year.

If you fertilize willows every year, they give more and constant blooming.

Some willows, like goat willow, suffer much from diseases.

Last edited:
You may plant many kinds of willow, but there are much differenvies in plants, how they look like and how they bloom.

Some willows take many years before they bloom after planting, and some bloom next year.

If you fertilize willows every year, they give more and constant blooming.

Some willows, like goat willow, suffer much from diseases.

I'll be planting cuttings from my own trees so I know what they're like. They also flower very quickly, in a year or two.

I'm not sure there's any particular disease I need to worry about but they are host to all sorts of caterpillars and other bugs, but that's just another reason to plant them. Same with including female plants, no doubt they'll provide seeds for something to eat.

Latest posts

Back