will they draw down the honey???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi i have been preparing some brood frames for next year. i added a second brood box ontop of my first one and removed the queen excluder and feed the hive so that they would draw the comb in prepearation for splits next year. they have stored some syrup and clover honey in the second brood box which is fine. but i want to remove the box before winter and i dont want to bother spining out the honey if i can get the bees to do it for me??? will they draw the honey/syrup from the frames and put it into the main brood box for the winter???? thanks they also still have a half full super which i was going to leave them for the winter. should i rearrange that? at the moment it is main brood, new brood, then super, no queen excluder.

If you want to get them to empty that super you want to remove then I would build it as follows

OMF
main brood
new brood
QE
completely empty super (no frames)
crownboard with feeding hole open
then the super you want emptied / cleaned out for storage
crownboard
roof

Do it quick or you'll be into autumn feeding and loose the chance (would not do it if you are varroa treating, too much space reducing fume intensity and too big a space to heat)

could i leave that till after autum feeding because i have bavarol resistance and am using apiguard which i hope to start tomoro
i could create a 2 inch insulation with feeding hole in it.. then i wouldnt have to change anything when i remove the second brood after they have it cleared? i was hoping to leave them with the brood and a half. and remove the second brood. i have space to freeze it with the honey/syrup in it if this is a better idea
If you want to get them to empty that super you want to remove then I would build it as follows

OMF
main brood
new brood
QE
crownboard
roof

Do it quick or you'll be into autumn feeding and loose the chance (would not do it if you are varroa treating, too much space reducing fume intensity and too big a space to heat)

Priority at this time of year has to be varroa treatment. As you have space to freeze the brood box of frames that would be the way to go. It will give you a handy feed source for early spring 2011 too.:)

The method described by Rosti works a treat I used it to empty supers of uncapped honey so I could store them dry and get on and treat the bees.

could i leave that till after autum feeding

I would say not, given that if your autumn feeding has been succesful then there will be very limited / no storage space left in th brood boxes. Since you are about to start Apiguard and thats a months worth then I think you have to fall back on MJBs proposal of freezing (or spinning out possibly and then including within the autumn feed)

perfect thanks tonnes guys lots of help ill freeze the box itl come in very handy as food next year and i can even clear that annoying half full super on the other hive using the first method. thanks again

OMF
main brood
new brood
QE
crownboard
roof

would this work the same with just the main brood,if you needed the bees to draw out the 2 last frames?

clearing frames

AFAIK standard practice for clearing frames eg post extraction or as in this case , is to place them on top of 1 empty box above QE as described above.

I'm glad I found this post, I've got a part filled super I want the bees to empty.

Back