Will the bees find the fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 new Nuc and a swarm caught on the 10th July
Hi
the WBC felt light last week so put on some fondant, posh stuff from Paynes
how will they know it is there?
will they find it in this cold if they are all clustered
Worry worry worry worry worry worry worry worry worry
Clare

You put it on where,the tops of the frames,the crown board,the ?
Needs to be in contact with the cluster,directly above.

Last edited:
Slap it on the frames. Yes they will find it.

Relax

PH

Slap it on the frames. Yes they will find it.

Relax

PH
Opened hives today -2C sunny ,applied Oxalic acid solution , whipped crown boards back on slapped fondant over feed holes squashed it so it impinged on frames , re-roofed and off !
Took dog for a walk over an hour later and my strongest colony were fussing in and out of the entrance , taking very short recce' flights ; yep I think they will find the fondant ;)

John Wilkinson

If there's fondant in the hive they will find it at some point. If it's very cold they will most likely not be working it, but on the milder days the cluster will be inclined to braek up, and then they will find it.

So there's no need to wrap it in cling film with a couple of slits then? It seems alot easier to just squash it into the feeder hole on top of the crown board.

FB

I have had it go hard before when not using a wrapper.
I just think it is worth the effort of wrapping rather than having a colony starve due to a solid block of sugar they cannot eat..

mmmm - that's a good point. I made some the other day and it is quite hard in the fridge. Another daft question coming up ........... wait for it ............. so you would wrap the fondant in cling film, then put it in the upturned container? I have visions of the bees getting caught up in the cling film - humour me....................;)

Just an upturned container or just cling film. I use empty ice cream containers myself.

So there's no need to wrap it in cling film with a couple of slits then? It seems alot easier to just squash it into the feeder hole on top of the crown board.

FB
After I've squashed it into feeding hole I cover with cling film to retain moisture :coolgleamA:

John Wilkinson

Just an upturned container or just cling film.

Use an up-turned container, but cover the fondant in cling film. A couple of slits is enough.

That way, when you might want to remove it, the remaining fondant is not stuck securely to your crownboard! Just a simple precaution costing an absolute minimum of time, effort and cost.

As I only feed if required, much, much later than this, I don't often get the bees emptying container after container - they would soon be on to spring sugar syrup.

Regards, RAB

Clare P,

Are you using the apifonda that Paynes supply? If so then keep it in the bag and just make a small slit in the bag above the crown board.

Ben P

Thanks all, yes it is apifonda, I cut a hole same size as hole in crown board and sat/squished it over it then put the insulation back on top.
I saw a couple of bees dead in the snow today and some little birdy foot prints nearby.
I also found today that (thanks to Gatwick being close and closed) sitting with my ear to the hive wall I could hear the happy humming of the bees.
Relief that we have made it this far,
One more little one..... How long would a KG pack of fondant last?
is that the same as a piece of string?
Cheers Clare:willy_nilly:

No, I find that a piece of string seems to last longer.

There are consumption figures around, but I would have to dig deep in the books. So much easier to make a joke while waiting for the real brains to appear on the scene. :)

Check after a week - quietly lift the roof and peek under the insulation, you will be able to see how much/little has been consumed and from that guess when to add more.

Bees usually eat fondant as they need it and do not take it down and store it.

Bees usually eat fondant as they need it and do not take it down and store it.

But only in the winter,as we are obviously in now.....any other time of year they take it down and store it, just the same as honey or sugar syrup.

I'm sorry - it's me again. I can't get my head around the bees being able to get to the fondant if it is wrapped in cling film with a couple of slits in it.

Well freethorpe that is one of life's little mysteries.

Bees can and do cut through cling film if required.

I used cling film over my pollen patties one Spring and in a few days time stringy plastic appeared at the entrances. Clean top bars. Finished with that thanks now take it away Mr Beekeeper, oh and we do prefer the grease proof paper you usually give us thanks.

PH (never underestimate the honey bee)

Back