Will the bees clean out mouldy pollen cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyCropper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have about 12 brood frames which the bees cleaned out prior to storing. Unfortunately where there were pockets of pollen left this has gone mouldy/growing fur. Will the bees clean out these few cells themselves ?

I don't have a lot of drawn comb so wouldn't want to melt it down unless I had to.

I note that the NBU list fermented stores as one of the causes of Nosema and I assume 'stores' includes pollen as well as nectar.

What are the risks and should I just clean these cells out myself (assuming the bees will repair any mess I make of their cells).

Thanks in advance.

Roy

I note that the NBU list fermented stores as one of the causes of Nosema

Not checked myself but are you sure they are not referring to dysentry?

Bees will sort it out just put them back in.

I have the same issue with 5 of my brood frames! I plan to give them a brush down with a soft brush to remove some of the fur and then reuse! Hopefully they will clean them out!

I note that the NBU list fermented stores as one of the causes of Nosema

Not checked myself but are you sure they are not referring to dysentry?

You are correct - I misread the article on Nosema which, amongst other tips, says ..... 'avoid factors that promote dysentery (e.g. fermented stores, late syrup feeding, damp etc.) '

I'll try and give the combs a bit of a clean then and check how the bees get on with them.

Thanks

Hi,

I have about 12 brood frames which the bees cleaned out prior to storing. Unfortunately where there were pockets of pollen left this has gone mouldy/growing fur. Will the bees clean out these few cells themselves ?

I don't have a lot of drawn comb so wouldn't want to melt it down unless I had to.

I note that the NBU list fermented stores as one of the causes of Nosema and I assume 'stores' includes pollen as well as nectar.

What are the risks and should I just clean these cells out myself (assuming the bees will repair any mess I make of their cells).

Thanks in advance.

Roy
They are nearly all FEMALE and what do females do? Clean.

Oy! watch it... I hate shopping, don't nag, and DEFINITELY a woman!

Clean hives- healthy bees...if you ain't sure, don't use. Bit like beefburgers.

I don't do cleaning, hate shopping and rarely nag (if ever).

Fincaazul, I think you might be reincarnated as a drone...
:eek:

Latest posts

Back