will she survive!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was about to clip the wings of a lovely queen. Loads of brood in a calm colony so wanted to ensure she didnt swarm etc.
I was holding her gently, no fuss, when a bee settled on her - and stung her. I whopped it away immediately so maybe there was little poison transmitted - but she aint happy!! I returned her to her colony- in a quiet area of the hive, and will look in a couple of days. Can a queen cope with this action or is she probably doomed :ack2:
:cuss:
Heather

You do have your adventures Heather.

I would not bet on the queen myself.

PH

:svengo: she was a cracker- has it ever happened to anyone else out there?? Will keep you posted but not opening a book on it- too sad....

Last edited:
No she didnt - so - yes, bees make me mad sometimes too- there was NO excuse for that little .... to sting my lovely queen . I have a new virgin going in today - hope they will welcome her nicely :cheers2:- not like a load of belligerent teenagers!!!

This will be interesting as it is best to offer the bees what they are expecting.

Deceased q = Q cell. to run in virgin very gently lift the CB and pop her in.

Good luck

PH

:svengo: she was a cracker- has it ever happened to anyone else out there?? Will keep you posted but not opening a book on it- too sad....

Yes happened to me a couple of months back.

You spend weeks getting a good queen produced,smile to yourself when she is mated and laying,grab her to clip and mark her,then bang a stupid worker comes along while clipping and stings her,was your like mine in that she just curls up in your hand like a banana shape and looks like she is dying ?

I placed her back in the hive but she was missing 2 days later..

Dont beat yourself up,you are not the first or last to do it.

I know- but she had wall to wall brood- not a space missed- so classic.

As she was in my hand with no other bees around us- why would another bee act that way- I know they dont read -but a bee psychologist would be interesting :hat:
She looked a bit drunk- but as i had knocked the other bee of asap- I was hopeful. Still virgin safely walked in- and no adverse reaction from them all- no balling, so will look in 2 weeks

Maybe she was aiming for your hand and hit Queenie instead (even bees get it wrong, it aint exclusive to human beings :) )

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back