Will my bees swarm if i over feed them fo winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam, it;s still warm enough to open your hive.....keep feeding until all the frames at either end are full of stores as this is also heat insulation. and then keep feeding until they stop taking it down.
They know how much space they need, richard.

:iagree:

Hive tidy ups and final unites still to do and a few to feed.

Got an email from our fondant supplier saying the price was about to go up so order now. Hmm....

it;s still warm enough to open your hive

Yes, but be cautious - mornings and evenings are getting too cold to open up the hive IMO

MM I'm interested in your reference to the spring balance. Do you hook it under just one side of hive & read off as the hive starts to lift? Sounds like a good idea, but ...
How do you know what percentage of the weight is wood & metal hive parts & wax etc?

You know the weight of an empty hive, and when you lift it off the ground at one side the balance gives syou the weight of HALF the total.

From that if you subtract half the weight of the empty unit, plus an allowance for the weight of the bees you have an approxamate weight of stores.

Say 30lbs for hive floor and roof. Ten pounds of bees so forty all up

Balance reads 60. Hive then weights all up 120lbs. Minus your forty and you have 80 lbs in there of stores.

It's pretty much rough and ready and I am NOT saying your hives weight 30 lbs only you can work that out as you may have 1" thick wood in there... or they may be poly or concrete for that matter.

PH

Warm Weather

Hello
I have a similar concern, I have 4 Nationals, all treated and effectivly shut down for winter, on a brood box and 1 super, they have been taking syrup for about a month now like no tomorrow, and flying well on the balsam.....now its gone red hot!! I'm worried they may think about swarming due to lack of space and the weather? When I topped the feeders up last night there was noticable warmth comming from the hive when I took the roof off. The entrances are 3 bee spaceish as there are still wasps about, but not as many as there has been.
I was thinking of inspecting tonight when I get home from work. I haven't been right through them for 2 weeks.
I thought it was safe???? any advice??
Thank you

The later it gets the less likely they are to swarm, but, as I said in post #2, 'you can never be sure'.

Post #7 (yesterday) from the 'sizzling autumn' thread : had a phone call about a swarm today!

Last edited:
Oh thanks will look at that one, better have a quick inspect before it cools down for the evening.

do i need to feed if they are collecting themselves?

i fed mine a few weeks ago after i took the honey and the weather was dull, but i'm treating with apiguard so i presume it is difficult to feed with syrup. The weather here is great, and they are working as hard as the best days of summer. Do i really need to feed while there is a flow on? If so should i give them fondant with the apiguard or how can i give them syrup?

i fed mine a few weeks ago after i took the honey and the weather was dull, but i'm treating with apiguard so i presume it is difficult to feed with syrup. The weather here is great, and they are working as hard as the best days of summer. Do i really need to feed while there is a flow on? If so should i give them fondant with the apiguard or how can i give them syrup?

Have a look at the misplaced thread:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13429

I opened this morning and the bb was absolutely jam-packed with bees still coming in with pollen but nowhere to put it.... so removed a frame of sealed stores either side of the four frame brood area and replaced with foundation.

Did I do wrong?

Did I do wrong?

What can be wrong with that? Comb might be better but not to worry. The action is easily reversible.

RAB

Last edited:
Thanks RAB, it seemed the right thing to do at the time.

and as you say, it's reversible

richard

Thank you Poly Hive - a most useful explanation of weighing. Do you use a spring balance & has it an adapted hook to raise the hive without upsetting the resident ladies?

Latest posts

Back