Will emulsion paint do any harm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have come by some 9mm ply which I thought would make nuke boxes or something. Only trouble is, it;s been used for shop display, and has emulsion paint both sides, therefore would be on inside of hive. What are the chances of this creating problems?

if its ordinary emulsion paint it wont last a crack outside....should be easily enough took off with a heat gun and a scraper!...or if not you could try undercoating and glossing or using outdoor emulsion on the outside side of the hives to protect it from the elements!...am a painter and decorator and if it was me ad clean it all to the hard and treat it right.

could a non toxic polyurethane varnish bee applied both sides.??
Would worry me that a fungi/insicecti ~ side was in emulsion??
Biglong is probably right!

if its ordinary emulsion paint it wont last a crack outside....should be easily enough took off with a heat gun and a scraper!...or if not you could try undercoating and glossing or using outdoor emulsion on the outside side of the hives to protect it from the elements!...am a painter and decorator and if it was me ad clean it all to the hard and treat it right.

If it's emulsion it should come off by pouring boiling water on it. I mean literally boiling, straight out the kettle.

Adam

the boiling water might work as long as it wouldnt soak the ply and swell it,and as for the varnish,well to be fair it'll only be as good as the paint its sticking too....

What are the chances of this creating problems?

Inside - zilch.

Outside, not really very durable, Simply paint over with something to cover and keep out UV (which will slowly cause de-lamination)?

I think there are emulsions that can withstand bathroom conditions, but outdoors they are not so good, unless you want to be decorating them on a regular basis.

Biggest problem may be compatability of different paint types. I think I would 'sand' the outside faces and paint them with something more weather proof.

Regards, RAB

A lot of emulsion paints contain biocides to stop bacteria growing in the water.

proablay a slim chance but somthing to remember more for fresh paint.

Latest posts

Back