Wildflower meadows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evey one should be doing this.... ban that artificial grass so loved by Townies!
I am one of "THEM TOWNIES" there isnt a single square inch of fake grass in our garden, when we moved here 9years ago it was all overgrown, it's now all strimmer back, "REAL GRASS" mown on a regular basis, since clearing the scrub land, I've erected a greenhouse which is used all year round & a 26feet x 14feet polytunnel again used all year round, as well as a hen house with 20hens & a rooster, then theres the 3m² raised garden where my better ½ grows her choice of flowers, this is surrounded by a hedgerow we planted consisting of 350+ shrubs & trees, not to mention the apple pear & cherry trees we planted, a lawned area which next year we are allowing half of it to go wild with meadow flowers & other beneficial plants for the wildlife & of course the bees.(½ an acre just for them)

please dont tag ALL TOWNIES with the same label.

Unless you can remove all the soil and sift, it's a case of meticulous and careful digging and weeding with ground elder. A real PITA.

I am one of "THEM TOWNIES" there isnt a single square inch of fake grass in our garden, when we moved here 9years ago it was all overgrown, it's now all strimmer back, "REAL GRASS" mown on a regular basis, since clearing the scrub land, I've erected a greenhouse which is used all year round & a 26feet x 14feet polytunnel again used all year round, as well as a hen house with 20hens & a rooster, then theres the 3m² raised garden where my better ½ grows her choice of flowers, this is surrounded by a hedgerow we planted consisting of 350+ shrubs & trees, not to mention the apple pear & cherry trees we planted, a lawned area which next year we are allowing half of it to go wild with meadow flowers & other beneficial plants for the wildlife & of course the bees.(½ an acre just for them)

please dont tag ALL TOWNIES with the same label.
But which town are you in? 😀

We are doing a patch in our garden this year should I sow yellow rattle now and wildflower seeds in the spring or with the yellow rattle?
Thanks
Jeff

We are doing a patch in our garden this year should I sow yellow rattle now and wildflower seeds in the spring or with the yellow rattle?
Thanks
Jeff
I’m no expert but when do plants seed?
Seed now and plugs in the spring?

My main apiary is on two acres of rough grass which ceased to be a plant nursery 12 years ago. My landlord visits only once a year from afar. For the first several years it was cut for hay in July. Latterly it is just topped in August. Several bee orchids previously but none for two years now. Scattered pyramidal orchids most years. Occasional garden plant relics.

I am the unofficial custodian with limited decision powers. My landlord does not want it grazed.

Two problems: 1. thistles are slowly taking over 2. I have tried sowing yellow rattle without success - Have you any tips?
Try this which can be used selectively in a knapsack:
Tried plastic for one season did not work on ground elder.

Google Grazon. It can be applied selectively in a knapsack.

Will also kill clover.
In this thread for nature lovers I also see glyphosate mentioned.
The ghost of a smile fades from Rachel Carson's face.
Indeed it will. However, that is the point in using it selectively by knapsack application. Weeding in the garden is not the same as a 2 acre field. 20200720_125721.jpg
If you want a wildflower meddow you will find that the creeping thistle will out perform all others.
Personally, I quite like these "weeds" and get a good flow of nectar and pollen from both thistle and burdock

Indeed it will. However, that is the point in using it selectively by knapsack application. Weeding in the garden is not the same as a 2 acre field.
If you want a wildflower meddow you will find that the creeping thistle will out perform all others.
Personally, I quite like these "weeds" and get a good flow of nectar and pollen from both thistle and burdock
Yes I agree with you. I just wonder how selective spraying can be in practice. I also don't try to do more than I am physically capable of achieving . Which isn't much these days. :banghead:

that is the point in using it selectively by knapsack application
Yes, if it must be done, spray late in the day when flying has stopped (inc. bumbles, which fly late).
Wait until rain is not predicted for a few days after spraying, which will limit exposure of flying insects to poison on plants.

Back