Wild colony of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
There is a wild colony of bees in a large , old tree near me. It has been there over 10 years. Today the bees have been extremely active ( not a surprise ) but rather than going in the hole in the tree and down into the trunk tonight there are quite a large number clustered on the back of the trunk cavity wall opposite the entrance. Usually there are just the last stragglers returning and descending into the tree trunk, no other bees visible. Could they be about to swarm ?

I would suspect the weather rather than anything else - majority of my hives have significant bees outside (despite having plenty of room inside) and I know for sure that they are not about to swarm.

I know for sure that they are not about to swarm.

Famous last words, plumberman. No queen cells may just mean they are not going just yet, or just.....

Regards, RAB

Some of hanging out of the entrance. 20C here at 9-15pm.
Foragers still returning aswell.

Darren.

I know for sure that they are not about to swarm.

Famous last words, plumberman. No queen cells may just mean they are not going just yet, or just.....

Regards, RAB

Indeed - but they were AS'd about 3 weeks ago and left with one queen cell. Always possible could throw a cast if I missed a cell, but given weather almost certain they would have done so by now. I appreciate absolutes in beekeeping are tenuous, but in this case I would be 95% certain.

I'll (happily!) let you know if I am proved wrong................

Latest posts

Back