Why Won't They Draw the Super Frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
We are new to beekeeping this year - got our nuc at the end of May. The colony has grown apace, and three weeks ago had effectively drawn and filled the whole of the brood chamber. So we put a super on, with ten frames of foundation: and nothing has happened. Plenty of the little blighters having a look round, but none of them drawing anything. With the weather a bit on the damp and cool side, we have tried feeding: but still no results.

Any of you experienced beekeepers got any advice? Is it too late now to worry about it for this season?

Probably too late, I have very powerful colonies ignoring supers at the moment, using them for room but that is all. The wax working has utterly ceased. It's called no income.

PH

I think that's the problem with getting a Nuc at the end of May. June doesn't usually produce much and yet again July has been rubbish.

I think this is the reason why full colonies go for so much cash in April.
I'd concentrate on getting your bees ready for next year so they're bursting to get at the OSR or whatever else early next season

sometimes I have placed new foundation with the bees only to see it ignored and fresh comb built around and on it but without drawing from it.Is there anything that makes comb more or less desirable.

Many thanks for these replies.

It is obvious that I shall have to carry on buying honey for another year - and focus on getting the colony all fired up next spring!!

sometimes I have placed new foundation with the bees only to see it ignored and fresh comb built around and on it but without drawing from it.Is there anything that makes comb more or less desirable.

Anwe, am no expert but if your foundation has lost that lovely waxy bee-smell then they'll not find it so attractive.

July has been rubbish for me too. "The flow" lasted for about 2 days! I was hoping that some foundation would be drawn on some of the hives but nothing has happened. :(

Anwe, am no expert but if your foundation has lost that lovely waxy bee-smell then they'll not find it so attractive.

That is not a reason. I have used many years old foundations and they have build them all.

Bees does not need combs if they do not draw them.

On my inspection last week, there was next to no bees on the super, just a few looking. This week however two frames showed that they were busy drawing out comb in the middle of them. As to what happens with them remains to be seen.

:nature-smiley-013:

Latest posts

Back