why the extra step in soft set?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Why is it recommended that softset honey is allowed to cool and go hard after seeding and mixing then rewarmed to jar?

Does it not give the same result as if it is jarred straight after seeding and mixing?

I use osr that’s allowed to set in buckets first then warmed mixed and bottled. IMO letting it set the first time reduces frosting on the jars.

Why is it recommended that softset honey is allowed to cool and go hard after seeding and mixing then rewarmed to jar?

Does it not give the same result as if it is jarred straight after seeding and mixing?
To make sure the whole lot does it. Bit of a PITA to have a load of honey in jars and then have to empty them out to reattempt if it fails.

I’ve just soft set some heather blend and it has worked beautifully putting it straight into jars.

I never leave my soft set harden then re-melt before Jarring, I just keep it in a bucket at 13°C, stirring it daily until it sets to a point where it is just about pourable before bottling it

I have put mine in the creaming machine, melted it, added seed and mixed it for 15 minutes every hour for 48 hours. It is the smoothest soft set I have ever tasted and it's currently sitting in the creamer at 22'.
If I don't need the extra step I'd happily just warm it up a bit until it flows then jar it into warm jars before allowing to cool.

There are many ways to achieve soft set honey. Find one that works for you and use that one is my advice, refining as necessary as you gain experience or learn of other methods. What works for me with the honey, seed, creaming device, time and ambient storage temperature I have might not suit others.

If a step in a method seems like a faff and unnecessary, try missing it out and see what happens but chances are it's there for a reason. You could jar half your honey straight after seeding and with the other half let it set in the bucket then gently warm to allow it to be jarred (or live on the edge like JBM above and jar it in the last few days/hours of it being pourable). Compare the results and also check for frosting issues.

I never leave my soft set harden then re-melt before Jarring, I just keep it in a bucket at 13°C, stirring it daily until it sets to a point where it is just about pourable before bottling it
I usually allow to set in buckets and rewarm , but this spring I did what JBM did and once jarred, it continued to crystallise, and I ended up with a layer of liquid on top of each jar. I might have got the timing wrong, but now stick to my usual method.

Latest posts

Back