Why Supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
does anyone know the origin of the word 'Super' ?
it seems a strange name for a box containing honey!

I was told either it means the honey that is superfluous to their needs or that it's the box that is superimposed over the hive.

No doubt others will correct me.

I think the jury is still out on this one.

Some ideas are:
short for surplus
short for superfluous
Latin for above or on top - I like this idea.

We are not Americans - we speak (sometimes) the Queen's English and not some foreign pidgin dialect of a former colony.
Keep well Finman!

When you use "international language" word we use "culture words".

When we say " hole in the culture" you say "he is lacking in culture"

Mostly we use about queen the word "emo" = engl. mom

Ah Ha! Finman - another excellent example of the language barrier between our two great nations. "Queen" can mean something completely different in English and believe me it has nothing at all to do with beekeeping or royalty..........

Ah so, I looked from Webster dictionary: Etymology: Middle English quene, from Old English cwēn woman, wife, queen; akin to Gothic qens wife, Greek gynē woman,

6 : the fertile fully developed female of social bees, ants, and termites whose function is to lay eggs
7 : a mature female cat kept especially for breeding

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/queen

How about looking up "Woofter" - if your dictionary is any good at all it will give you an indication of the meaning........... if it doesn't then get a new dictionary.
But yes the word super probably comes from superimpose, or maybe when they first tried it out it filled up so quick that the exclaimed "SUPER!" and a name was born........

Mebbi some one dropped a 'P' ?
And Supper was what they had in mind :confused:

John Wilkinson

Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: super-

1 : greater than normal : excessive <superovulation>
2 : situated or placed above, on, or at the top of <superciliary> ; specifically : situated on the dorsal side of

Another Dictionary:

super- 
a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, with the basic meaning “above, beyond.” Words formed with super- have the following general senses: “to place or be placed above or over” (superimpose; supersede), “a thing placed over or added to another” (superscript; superstructure; supertax), “situated over” (superficial; superlunary) and, more figuratively, “an individual, thing, or property that exceeds customary norms or levels” (superalloy; superconductivity; superman; superstar), “an individual or thing larger, more powerful, or with wider application than others of its kind” (supercomputer; superhighway; superpower; supertanker), “exceeding the norms or limits of a given class” (superhuman; superplastic), “having the specified property to a great or excessive degree” (supercritical; superfine; supersensitive), “to subject to (a physical process) to an extreme degree or in an unusual way” (supercharge; supercool; supersaturate), “a category that embraces a number of lesser items of the specified kind” (superfamily; supergalaxy), “a chemical compound with a higher proportion than usual of a given constituent” (superphosphate).

One meaning is said:
3. (in beekeeping) the portion of a hive in which honey is stored

Last edited:
In Estonia we use the word "magasin" which means actually the storage room for bullets in automatic weapons :)
Queen bee is called mother bee. ( ema - similarities to Finnish, same language group )

Lauri

In Estonia we use the word "magasin" which means actually the storage room for bullets in automatic weapons :)
Queen bee is called mother bee. ( ema - similarities to Finnish, same language group )

Lauri
storage for ammo in automatic weapons is "magazine" in English, nearly the same :).

John Wilkinson

I agree.
I did latin for 4 years! :(

Latin is a language as dead as dead can be
First it killed the Romans
Now it's killing me.

Latest posts

Back