Why so messy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapperman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national 3 tbh
My bees have gone mad the past few days (the ivy is now well out here) and all of a sudden theres pollen (i assume its pollen) all around the entrance, Is this normal when theres a good flow on?

I took these pics today, it has been wet for a few days here so i am thinking that the pollen could be falling off bees as they hustle past each other and sticking to the hive front, in places its dripping down.

bees047.jpg

bees043.jpg

bees042.jpg

bees041.jpg

Looks like diarrhoea to me , could the change in diet (Ivy) or symptomatic of Nosema Apis ? this usually becomes more noticable with the onset of cooler weather !

John Wilkinson

Sorry Trapperman, I am in agreement with John, looks like the trots to me! I am currently in the middle of a Fumidil B treatment because I saw similar signs on one hive (at a lower incidence than this), didn't confirm by microscopy though. Given impact on prospects for over wintering I suggest you treat based on worst case and hope things are actually better than that.

Remember you need to get a fair quantity of syrup into them to treat at the recommended dose / rate (9.3g in 9.5 ltrs of 2:1 syrup) so winter prep feeding is the ideal time to do this.

Looks like diarrhoea to me , could the change in diet (Ivy) or symptomatic of Nosema Apis ? this usually becomes more noticable with the onset of cooler weather !

John Wilkinson

Thats got me worried, i thought pollen because the stuff on the ledge is powdery i thought rain might have caused the drips on the front of the hive.

the inside of the hive is totaly clean.

If its diarrhoea due to a change of diet should i be concerned or will it clear up.

i dont know if it helps but this all started on sunday there was nothing before at all.

forgot to say I took apiguard off on saturday and put feeder on with 2:1 syrup.

As you've started your Autumn feeding 4 days ago ,I wonder how much they have taken .
If it were me, I would stop the feeding , give it a couple to three weeks (this will allow a lot of brood to emerge creating storage room) ,then start feeding again with fumadil 'b' in 2-1 syrup .
Should the colony not have nosema , the treatment will do no harm :)

John Wilkinson

As you've started your Autumn feeding 4 days ago ,I wonder how much they have taken .
If it were me, I would stop the feeding , give it a couple to three weeks (this will allow a lot of brood to emerge creating storage room) ,then start feeding again with fumadil 'b' in 2-1 syrup .
Should the colony not have nosema , the treatment will do no harm :)

John Wilkinson

can you recomend a place to order it from please.

i just ordered some "Nozevit" organic nosema treatment, could`nt find any fumidil in stock anywhere, will give this ago.

I don't think I've ever seen a bee do a poo! Looks like they've shot it at the hive :ack2:

I hope they get over this soon.

I don't think I've ever seen a bee do a poo! Looks like they've shot it at the hive :ack2:

I hope they get over this soon.

Me to, it just goes to show you should always ask if your not sure.

If you only started feeding on Sunday is it possible that the syrup mix is causing this?

I dont know, its just 2:1 syrup with fresh brought granulated white sugar made with hot but not boiling water.

and the dry pollen looking stuff is also poo?

Trapperman,

You say "its just 2:1 syrup". I hope it is 1kg to 1 pt? This is what autumn/winter feed should be.

ive seen bee poo before, but never this colour, '' normal '' bee poo tends to be brown in colour !?

this is why i thought it was pollen as its the same colour as what they are bringing in at the moment.

Back