Why insure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Why insure
What exactly do you get for your money
Do insurers actually ever payout or are the only happy to collect the inflated premiums!

Are the insurances availiable to Beeks. a total waste of hard earned cash.

?

Last edited:
Why insure
What exactly do you get for your money
Do insurers actually ever payout or are the only happy to collect the inflated premiums!

Are the insurances availiable to Beeks. a total waste of hard earned cash.

?

Brood and disease insurance in my view is not worth a candle as it only covers frames , if i got a bad case of EFB or AFB i would burn the hive as well

However if you want to sell honey then i think you need the £2m public liabilty insurance

Are you sure MM? I was talking to a beekeeper who got AFB and got everything burned and he thought BDI would pay to replace his hives... although he was so upset, perhaps he got that wrong.

Are you sure MM? I was talking to a beekeeper who got AFB and got everything burned and he thought BDI would pay to replace his hives... although he was so upset, perhaps he got that wrong.

well not a lawyer but as i read the cover then brood boxes, roofs and supers are not covered this is what the dark-side's web site says

BDI Compensation Rates for 2010

The rates of compensation for property insured are:-

British Standard Brood Frame £2.00
Glass Quilt £14.50
All other Brood Frame sizes £2.70
Wire Queen Excluder £14.55
British Standard Shallow Frame £1.40
Slotted Zinc Queen Excluder £6.00
All other Shallow Frame sizes £2.00
Plastic Queen Excluder £4.00
Saleable Honey (30lb maximum) £2.50/lb
Open Mesh Floors £10.00

Subject to Condition - Excellent/As New, Good, Poor No other property will be paid for i.e. hives are not covered If two or more claims have been made in the previous two years compensation will be reduced by 25%.

If three or more claims have been made in the previous three years compensation will be reduced by 50%. The maximum compensation payable to an individual is £2,500 in any one year of insurance.

Last edited:
so as hives are not covered what is your uninsured loss

scenerio: if you do have AFB due to a bad nuc in a brand new hive then what would would be paid as compensation to get back to norm is not the same kind of compensation if you crashed a new car

so £hornes complete including frames Hive £350+ £Th**nes bees at £210= £560

what would you get back 11 brood frames £22, 20 super frames £28, QE £6, OMFr £10= £66

so your uninsured loss is £494,

so as far as i am concerned the BDI insurance is not worth a candle AND remember a NUC or artificial swarm count as a hive so if you have two hives and do an artificial swarm to the BDI you have 4 hives at the time of manipluatio, if you find AFB while doing it, then you are uninsured if you just HAVE THE BASIC 3 HIVE INSURANCE becasue you have 4 hive according to be BDI and will be avveraged ie is this case 3/4 of the claimable compensation
quote:

Should a Nucleus Box be counted?
Yes. A single nucleus box contains frames etc which are included in the compensation scheme and should be included. Each nucleus counts as one colony.

If I take swarms during the year will they be included?
If the swarm is collected with the intention of keeping and hiving it then obviously it becomes part of your property and you should have allowed for this possible increase when calculating your dues. If, as often happens, you collect a swarm and before it is hived, pass it on to another member who is short of bees it is the responsibility of the new owner to cover them.

If I only have four colonies why do I have to insure for five colonies?
Experience shows that a number of beekeepers consistently under-pay by not declaring all colonies they actually have. Sometimes this happens because they collect and keep a swarm, or have one given to them, which they did not expect to keep. It is to help beekeepers avoid this problem that banding was introduced. It seems to be working because the number of cases of underpayment has fallen since banding was introduced.

Last edited:
Basically, if it's BDI you are talking about then no, brood boxes etc are not covered. They only cover the bits above. Although I have it, really, do you need insurance for frames, foundation and the other associated bits? Even if you do need it, then the premiums are so low (compared to market value) over time I think it's a bit of a waste of time.
Adam

Bit like the washing machine cover offered by Curries et al.... machine costs £350 inc 3 years manufactures all in warrantee ( if its going to go wrong probably will be in first 3 years from my experience!)
extra insurance £6 per month ( from date of purchase!)
Machine lasts 8 years before finally needing to be replaced
Insurance would have cost £576.... new machine £350

No wonder insurance companies are so so wealthy !!!

Come a long way from the farmers and pigs illustration!!!!

All insurance companies are thieves, BDI is the smallest insurance company in the country, this just makes them a small bunch of thieves

Public liability cover should be £5 million. This is included in BBKA and WBKA membership. This amount of cover is required if you are selling honey at Farmers' Markets, Food Festivals etc. The insurance also gives product liability cover up to £5 million, which is also essential you are selling honey to the public.

Bit like the washing machine cover offered by Curries et al.... machine costs £350 inc 3 years manufactures all in warrantee ( if its going to go wrong probably will be in first 3 years from my experience!)
extra insurance £6 per month ( from date of purchase!)
Machine lasts 8 years before finally needing to be replaced
Insurance would have cost £576.... new machine £350

No wonder insurance companies are so so wealthy !!!

Come a long way from the farmers and pigs illustration!!!!

Pet insurance ..My 11year old jack russel thinks he is still two and chased a cat under a gate he is to fat to get under. Injured back and various treatments and pain relief. Total vet bill £500. Kindly receptionist says I should think about insurance.
I point out that at £25 per month for the last ten years I would havepaid the best part of £3000. At the moment Im in profit. .and the premiums go up as the pet gets older..... no wonder the insurance company head offices are so plush.
Insurance is a risk... but not for the insurer.

Sorry rant over

Public liability cover should be £5 million. This is included in BBKA and WBKA membership. This amount of cover is required if you are selling honey at Farmers' Markets, Food Festivals etc. The insurance also gives product liability cover up to £5 million, which is also essential you are selling honey to the public.

BUT have they ever paid out ?:grouphug:gang of thieves, legal bandits etc etc

This amount of cover is required if you are selling honey at Farmers' Markets, Food Festivals etc.

Where did you get this imformation.

Now I was informed that no cover was required by law...... how much is this all inclusive $1000000000 cover?

Latest posts

Back