Why have they swarmed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
One of my hives at an out apiary was going really well, queen had emerged on 10th May this year. She seemed to be laying fine, nice even brood from side to side over 5 and a bit frames, comb drawn on 10 frames altogether, 1 foundation only.
I checked them last Saturday and all was well, one super nearly full, second just started, temper fine.
The neighbour says there was a swarm yesterday and today I find no queen, no eggs and about 10 charged queen cells. The swarm presumably came from that hive (there are several other hives nearby) as numbers do seem to be a bit down but not by a great deal.
What could have made them swarm? What should I have done to prevent it?

At last inspection was there lots of drone brood?
This is usually a sign they are thinking about going.
I had a similar situation recemtly and removed all drone brood then added extra brood box, split existing frames between both boxes directly above each other and added new foundation in an attempt to make them busy drawing comb and forget about swarming
I am please to say they are still in residence and no swarm cells, comb drawn, queen laying and fourth super going on tomorrow, after i have finished building and painting it, todays job, just stopped for a brew.

Hope that helps

One of my hives at an out apiary was going really well, queen had emerged on 10th May this year. She seemed to be laying fine, nice even brood from side to side over 5 and a bit frames, comb drawn on 10 frames altogether, 1 foundation only.
I checked them last Saturday and all was well, one super nearly full, second just started, temper fine.
The neighbour says there was a swarm yesterday and today I find no queen, no eggs and about 10 charged queen cells. The swarm presumably came from that hive (there are several other hives nearby) as numbers do seem to be a bit down but not by a great deal.
There doesn't seem to be anything you could do. Have seen the odd hive swarm here leaving only eggs

It is the nature of bees to expand / multiply by swarming.
Swarming is generally prevalent when the weather is good and there is a decent flow on.

As to your particular bees, maybe they are a swarmy strain?
A little more history of where the colony came from?

it's called instinct
;iagree:

At last inspection was there lots of drone brood?

Also dis-agree. All colonies produce drones and I would personally say the amount of drone brood production is probably more related to the size / strength of the colony and not whether they are preparing to swarm!

I have seen examples in my own colonies of swarms when barely any drone brood is present and non-swarming colonies that produce a large amount of drone brood.

Yep, my best hive that never has no queen cells has masses of drones! Not much of a guide I am afraid. Would suggest you missed a queen cell on the last inspection!
E

Hi sjt,
Don't beat yourself up. You have done nothing wrong. Some swarm again in the same season. I think they are called 'swarmy bees' . Maybe someone come along to explain the concept.

Latest posts

Back