Why don’t vegans eat honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madasafish

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
This article is from the Guardian... so you may want to disregard it - it's full of errors, post a comment or just laugh at it...

http://tinyurl.com/h6fnvkb

"Honey, as we all know, is a wondrous natural substance that not only tastes fantastic but has a multitude of health benefits too. It has been used as a medicine for millennia. What’s the problem then? Well let’s look at the very first thing I learned about honey harvesting. Commercial extraction means that the honey the bees have worked so damned hard to produce for their winter food store from the nectar they collect from flowering trees and plants is being replaced with a sugar water solution. This is a well-known (and somewhat controversial) large-scale beekeeping practice that could be avoided if enough honey were left for the bees to consume over the winter period. But the beekeepers needs to make a profit, right?
"

and so on..

(The comments are good for a laugh as well..)

Vegans are just spoilt children whose parents should have given them a damn good slap and told them to eat what's in front of them or they wouldn't be allowed to leave the table.

These are the "problems" of wealth: first-world problems. There was a fascinating article in the weekend FT by Nilanjana Roy to the effect that "hipsterism" is just a way of signalling affluence now that Cartier, Louis Vutton etc have lost exclusivity.

"The fades and the expensive backpacks, the honey-fermented gluten-free bread, the recycled-sari dresses, the daily Blue Tokai delivery — like hipsters across the world, Delhi’s youngsters learn very quickly how to curate their affluence."

Firewalled; sorry.

https://www.ft.com/content/67c2b35e-9064-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

To be vegan is usually a personal choice made by thoughtful people not to inconvenience animals in any way possible, saying that, if I was in charge I'd make it illegal for parents to starve growing children of vital nutrients.

These are the "problems" of wealth: first-world problems. There was a fascinating article in the weekend FT by Nilanjana Roy to the effect that "hipsterism" is just a way of signalling affluence now that Cartier, Louis Vutton etc have lost exclusivity.

"The fades and the expensive backpacks, the honey-fermented gluten-free bread, the recycled-sari dresses, the daily Blue Tokai delivery — like hipsters across the world, Delhi’s youngsters learn very quickly how to curate their affluence."

Firewalled; sorry.

https://www.ft.com/content/67c2b35e-9064-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

What about cultural? Krishna's and whatnot.

There have been discussions about the vegan perception of beekeeping in the past on the forum and from memory, most seem to be coloured by the popular perception of industrial beekeeping in North America.
I recall a friend commenting that some vegans have to take a range of dietary supplements to make up for various proteins otherwise missing in their diet. He was "entertained" by the fact that a lot of the supplements were actually made from "animal products". Whether it is true or not, I found the thought of it entertaining too.
I previously asked a friend and former colleague whether she took any dietary supplements, she having commented that she had been a vegetarian for over 30 years. She looked at me as if i was crazy and pointed out that she was a "healthy" weight and asked if I thought she was deficient in anything other than common sense for coming to work in the organisation that paid our salary at the end of the month.....

The article isnt as bad as it could be, my major issues with it are calling bees "stripey" and quoting practices once practiced in the cold of north america as if they were current here (culling bees). On the plus side it finishes with top advice to help bees and pollinators with helpful planting.

Inaccuracy piled on inaccuracy as you say; but there's no turning a committed eccentric though. They don't need the truth. As for commercial beekeepers abusing their bees. For heavens sake if they didn't treat their bees properly they wouldn't have a crop. I reckon more harm is done to bees by hobbyists without a clue.
My daughter is a new vegetarian probably as a reaction to my bringing her up with a good British steak and a decent red wine. She considers eating meat immoral due to the damage done to the planet raising animals to eat. Never mind the multitudes of people associated with that farming. There's no arguing with her.

Of course, and I have ruled out a possible apiary site on those grounds, but does "'an accumulation of little niggles, like dry hair, brittle nails and skin that wasn’t too great. We’d put on weight, too" get under that umbrella?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/ine-carlin-vegan-happy-and-definitely-not-preachy/

But I like the distaste for "finger-wagging".

"Gone were the troublesome skin breakouts and hangnails, and they had shed those extra pounds. "

I use Wickes handcream - that stopped hangnails and brittle skin..

And I diet occasionally - no cakes/sweets - to keep to my chosen weight - 69kg when I was fit and young..

I put a lot of thought into what I eat, summertime it's shall it be pork, beef or chicken this evening - or maybe the occasional sewin. This time of year it's further complicated by the ready availability of venison in this area and the game season now in full swing.as well as whether the weekend's full moon will bring the first fall of woodcock.

Went to a vegetarian shop (small cooperative) see if they wanted to sell some local honey, was told they stock it on Vegan principles and as honey is an animal product they don't stock it. Fair enough, it was suggested try a shop over the road as they sell quite a lot, which was nice of them and they do.

Have done a tasting in shop that does vegetarian / organic etc. and was surprised how many politely refused due to being vegan.

It begs the question where do you stop because a lot of produce wouldn't exist if it wasn't for bees etc., so strictly speaking they are "animal products"

To be vegan is usually a personal choice made by thoughtful people not to inconvenience animals in any way possible, saying that, if I was in charge I'd make it illegal for parents to starve growing children of vital nutrients.

To be fair vegans tend to have a more thoughtful approach to what they eat than the average parent.

To be fair vegans tend to have a more thoughtful approach to what they eat than the average parent.

My yoga teacher was a vegan. After 15 years, she decided to give up and eat "normally". Her toenails started to grow, her hair looked healthier-, and she had more vitality..

I've been vegetarian for some years now following serious bouts of salmonella and E. coli from dodgy meat. The things I've seen while working at local farms have helped keep me away from it too. I don't know if I could ever go Vegan, but I can see the logic in the arguments...

Can anyone help me and explain why vegans draw a blank at eggs? Like a lot of "backyard" chicken keepers, none of my chooks run with a cockerel but they still produce eggs. An egg may be an animal product, but nothing is killed, and my chooks are certainly not exploited - unless keeping them protected from foxes and ensuring that they are properly provided for counts as exploitation? Yes, I realise that I am controlling an animal, but a lot of other beasties, most of them too small, perhaps, to care about, are controlled in the production of veganly foodstuffs.

Having said that, I don't understand lacto vegetarians either. And "vegetarians" who eat fish? :hairpull:

Can anyone help me and explain why vegans draw a blank at eggs? Like a lot of "backyard" chicken keepers, none of my chooks run with a cockerel but they still produce eggs. An egg may be an animal product, but nothing is killed, and my chooks are certainly not exploited - unless keeping them protected from foxes and ensuring that they are properly provided for counts as exploitation? Yes, I realise that I am controlling an animal, but a lot of other beasties, most of them too small, perhaps, to care about, are controlled in the production of veganly foodstuffs.

Having said that, I don't understand lacto vegetarians either. And "vegetarians" who eat fish? :hairpull:

When you read this remark by a vegan activist on the Guardian thread...
"Paul Deeb Humean 45m ago

Wrong. Trees are a renewable resource and don't have feelings. Bees are animals and can experience suffering. YOUR argument is weak."

https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/16847878

then you realise how ignorant some vegans can be... or perhaps living on a different planet..

And "vegetarians" who eat fish? :hairpull:

They view fish as being vegetables, for example below is a potato cod.

EpinephelusTukulaDH.jpg

Latest posts

Back