why do you increase?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just out of interest, why do you want to have more hives? Is there a sudden demand for honey or just want to have more... Reading the forum it seems that everyone are going to have a few more:hat:

Lauri

Why did you increase?
Me I want to go probably up to 7 ish so if I have any losses I can recover from the colonies left. Part of the reason as well for sticking to a certain amount of hives is so that I build up slowly and learn as I go along and can cope with what I have. I also look after our association hives as well.

I have very authoritarian wife... she wants to have more:)

Honey. I was surprised how quickly my last year`s honey sold out. and people constantly ask for more. For my own needs i would keep only 2 -3 hives. Don't get rich with that but pays for its self i hope.

Lauri

Most on here only have a few colonies, I would think.

Those with single colonies should be increasing to at least double that (yes, I know it's hard to do anything less than doubling when you only have one colony!) as they should realise the benefits of two colonies over the worry of a possible 100% winter loss while numerically only losing one colony; of being able to help one colony with brood or a queen cell from the other; of getting a reasonable chance of a fair crop of honey; deciding that beekeeping is not that bad and want to continue after that first (traumatic) year; have the cash to get more kit, maybe another hive, a spinner; the near family, friends and relations suddenly realise they do LIKE honey; realise they need more kit so might as well have some more bees; like proper beeswax candles; realise wood likes beeswax polish; realise the effort for running two colonies is very little more than a single; enjoy beekeeping; think they could make some mead.

Those with a few more colonies may seem to want to increase but are more interested in standing still but need to increase after winter losses or to have a couple of nucs available for making up any winter losses.

Then there is money. Nucs are going to be premium prices shortly. Honey has been expensive due to colony losses and the poor seasons this last two years. To maintain honey production, without increase, has probably needed 30% more colonies this last couple of seasons.

I think the main reasons are probably the new beeks settling in and potential nuc suppliers.

Now, I may go up one, two, or perhaps more. It will simply depend on how I feel at the time. I have two empty broods/floors/roofs assembled, ready if needed, and another two or three standard National brood boxes in the flat and a couple of old boxes that need some attention. Oh dear, I could easily more than double up, if I don't watch out....better get making standard>>>>jumbo ekes, maybe a thirty frame Dartington, just for the sheer h*ll of it.

But so easy to need to double up just to stand still. It might seem like wanting more hives for the last couple of years, but that may not have been practical for some. This winter is not over yet. I don't have a business plan, so I shall 'go with the flow' and decide when it happens.

Regards, RAB

Most beekeepers "increase" because the bees force them to.

The real trick is NOT to. Unless planned.... *grin*

PH

We have 2 hives at the moment (well, both of them buzzed at me this afternoon, so I'm assuming I've still got 2 hives). We'd like a few more, probably go up to 6. One of the colonies is a ridiculously prolific bunch of italians, so they are getting double brood next year, and then I will split 2 strong nucs off one of the brood boxes. The other colony is less prolific, but I will split a nuc off if it gets swarmy.

As to why we want more bees, I have no idea. Because we can I suppose.

Julie just said because they are addictive.... LOL (as IF!!!)

PH

A few reasons -

1. to get more honey as my outlets can't get enough
2. to justify more kit (or is it the other way around ?? LOL)
3. to safeguard against winter losses
4. to help new beeks get started
5. you can never have enough

regards

S

That Thurrock is a sound reason.

I plan to keep my production colonies to 12 and also to produce/run some 20 nucs. That is more than enough work given I already work more than enough.

I am watching our honey consumption here with interest and may well start to push sales a bit more.

PH

i need to increase, as my outlets are demanding more honey than i can suppy.

Don't get more hive Chris just buy more honey off me!! :cheers2: generally i increase to justify better equipment in the honey room and to keep up with demand to our shops.

Don't get more hive Chris just buy more honey off me!! :cheers2: generally i increase to justify better equipment in the honey room and to keep up with demand to our shops.

cheeky bugger, im looking at more equipment to buy, however i also need more space, im thinking of hiring a metal shipping container

After what period would rental payments equal the purchase price for a shipping container?

On blocks, with a walkway down one side and the front and a protective pitched roof over, it should last for absolutely years and be extremely useful. Bee House, honey house and secure too.

My hive numbers are a little iffy at the moment but for me personaly I want to have four full hives in the bee shed , and ontop of that say another four else where for breeding replacement queens and a few nucs but I am not that interested in producing a massive amount of nucs to make money with, so for me eight is where i want to be.

And now for the confusing bit I was talking to , two friends and we have produced enough hives, money , nucs, money, frames, money and out apairies (4) plus stands, more money and evan a computer controlled cctv system and a few other nasty surprises and we have a set up running without winter loses of 148 nucs, not hives but nucs, allowing for a winter lose of 25% proberly more due to coldness of this winter we are then planning on producing an amount of honey (25% of income) wax (25%) and nucs 50% of income, so i will be apart of of around 200 hives in 2011

producing an amount of honey (25% of income) wax (25%) and nucs 50% of income, so i will be apart of of around 200 hives in 2011

Will be watching with interest Pete, quick question re above, income for three of you?

Cheers

Jez

Re. containers.
I rented a couple of 20' for a few years.
Seem to remember they cost £40/month each + VAT but this is a 4/5 years ago.
I didn't want to buy as I occupied a rented factory so the land outside wasn't mine and of course I forgot to mention to the council who would have charged rates had they known.

This is the firm I used and found them to be fine.

www.eaglecontainers.co.uk

a 20 foot container in brum costs £25 per month to rent according the lads at work but i dont know,

as for Jezd's question, depends income for 2009 was all ready posted on the forum have a look for going commercial by hedgerow, a big fat minus by the way 2010 forcast is to produce fully filled hives upto the 150 mark rather than nucs that we have income is forecasted at around £10,000 gross and if all goes well for 2011 its forecasted to be £10,000 + each gross, why the numbers , read the other posting its all there, will it work or not I dont know but we are willing to try. yes i know all about the pit falls so dont bother posting them , are we palnning to go bigger? one of the three is looking to either buy the others shares and going alone or we could increase his hives to another set of apiaries but the set costs are very hive at times and I am realy struggling for money

Thanks PeterS and Hedgerow Pete for the rental guide figures.

I looked about earlier and saw www.sjonescontainers.co.uk who are conveniently close, and I have a spot 9ft wide to take a 20ft container, but HP will have guessed it; access wouldn't be easy. It would have to be a separate crane job to take off, rotate and put into place. I shudder to think of the cost there, although it would be a one off.

Time for me to wake up and stop dreaming, but it did seem a very attractive idea, for a short while at least. Honey house and storage at the bottom of the garden maybe. :)
Very interesting thoughts though.

May the winter be kind to you Pete.

question is, is it cheaper than a shed? (more secure but do you need this)
Also, watch planning permission rules.

it will be classed as a temporary unit if you don't 'fix' it into place and therefore could be positioned on your property for up to 42 days in a row or this number over the year. Any extra days would require temporary planning permission to a fixed number of days.

However it could be craned into position, then clad to look like a small log 'cabin' and therefore get around much of the daft planning laws in this country under permitted development rights.

regards

S

Back