Why do i have a Queen cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friar Tuck

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a hive with a newly mated queen, eggs and brood at all different stages. But i inspected tonight and found a queen cell with rather a large grub in there. Bit late for a swam, plenty of room in the hive, did not see the queen but as i said loads of eggs and brood in all stages.

:banghead:

Thanks in advance

I would just leave this cell,let them get on with what they are doing.

Thanks Hivemaker why would they wan to supersede her she is laying well, brood in all stages? is this something they do with a new queen? :confused:

Something about her they may not be happy about....they may carry on and supercede...they may well decide to tear down this one cell.
If it had been a young queen that had just been introduced, then i would say destroy the cell,but not with a queen they have already produced themselves.

I had a colony that produced 1 Q/C earlier in the year.
I thought it may have been supercedure but there was loads of brood in all stages in a nice solid pattern.
I A/S them as i wasn`t sure. The following week she`d given up laying alltogether.
Next time i`ll just let them get on with it. The bees know best.

Darren.

Have a close look at the queen, you might see what it is they dunna like about her, like a deformed abdomen, damaged wings, clumsy spot of paint on her, her perm or withered leg.

Last edited:
i know its a bit off topic but would the quen cell actually be able to get mated in time for winter??

i know its a bit off topic but would the quen cell actually be able to get mated in time for winter??

If there are drones and if there is the weather, yes she will be mated fine. i still have drones...if you or others in your area to, fine.

Only problem is that you are unlikely to have a chance to check her temperament and laying pattern.

Middle of August? Loads of time unless winter arrives very early. There will still be loads of drones about. Only colonies with older queens and those with weak numbers or near to starving will have ejected all the drones for the season. Some which are not gong to swarm this season will also have ejected drones.

If worried, buy in a laying queen. No problem there. Your choice.

With supercedure there may not be a gap in laying at all. Both queens may continue laying until winter (although less likely with two young queens, I would think).

Regards, RAB

Loada drones is the hive, and in my other hive to. :D lets see what happens :troll:

Supercedure cells look great too :) take a pic

Latest posts

Back