Why buy a nuc with an overwintered queen vs this years queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
The title says it all really. Nucs with overwintered queens seem to command a slightly higher price....why is that? Simply proof that she can survive winter??

Time of year….proper overwintered nucs are available in March/April or early May and will go on to be a full honey producing colony….after that but this seasons….if your sold 1 after it’s a split and there dumping an old queen😂

The latter is what happened to me in 2020 from a certain company that sells equipment for bees; makes me a bit miffed in retrospect, but it possibly forced me to learn more quickly about how to build up a colony of bees.

Ah ok....I'm not looking to buy a nuc, but wondered why it seemed to be a benefit to get an over wintered queen earlier in the season. Now I understand.
Thank you!

The latter is what happened to me in 2020 from a certain company that sells equipment for bees; makes me a bit miffed in retrospect, but it possibly forced me to learn more quickly about how to build up a colony of bees.
It’s not always a bad thing and particularly if it’s sold as advertised there can’t really be any complaints. Certainly as the season progresses you’d be better off with this years, but then if your after Uk reared your also well into the season! Pays your money make a choice.

Latest posts

Back