why BBKA not EBKA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
just got a leaflet from a friend on Varroa issued by the Welsh Beekepers association and it was paid for by the Welsh assembly

well i know the scottish beekeepers association has EFB and AFB with eradication measure in place supported by the Scottish parliamnet

So why is there not an English Beekeepers Associatian?

we are in england under the British beekepeers Assocation, strange we dont call it EBKA as it only covers England..funded by the chemical industry:sifone:

Last edited:
Because if the English goverment supported the BBKA then it would have to be called the European beekeeping association and funded from Brussels.

The Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers are an official member association of the BBKA and although Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain I think they would have a few problems amongst their members if the BBKA changed to the EBKA.

The point here is not that the BBKA does not represent all the beekeepers in Wales, Scottland etc., but perhaps it should. That way it might have a stronger voice than it seems to have now. However, it isn't going to happen any time soon so I would stop worrying about it!

To keep The British Empire on, forget England and football huligans.

BEBKA

British-Empire-300x276.jpg

Last edited:
The SBA have long wondered at the British aspect as have many other Scottish Beekeepers.

Personally I think it is long over due a name change. Indeed given the cloud hanging over the BBKA "brand" a rebranding to "English Beekeepers association" would not only be a good idea but also considerably more honest.

PH

- unfortunately I fear that "English Beekeepers association" would also be dishonestly named if the present hierarchy were to stay after the name change - it's a nice "all-encompassing" sort of a name that suggests it is for all English beekeepers - it plainly isn't - only those who are willing to allow their funds and good names to be used to further the ends of the amoral agrochemical companies.......... Howsabout "English Beekeepers for the Greater Glory, Profit and Proliferation of the Agrochemical Industry?" being somewhat more accurate.................:svengo:

- unfortunately I fear that "English Beekeepers association" would also be dishonestly named if the present hierarchy were to stay after the name change - it's a nice "all-encompassing" sort of a name that suggests it is for all English beekeepers - it plainly isn't - only those who are willing to allow their funds and good names to be used to further the ends of the amoral agrochemical companies.......... Howsabout "English Beekeepers for the Greater Glory, Profit and Proliferation of the Agrochemical Industry?" being somewhat more accurate.................:svengo:

i agree, having worked in the physics department of rothampstead in the 1980's the scientiifc community have to sell their sole for a few goldened nobles,

now there is realy few independant science projects as you cannot get funding except from big buisiness (i know Bross will disagree on my next bit but it not critical of him) or aproved by the CRU at East Anglia Univ

But its all the same trend, we all must " agree" or "Be Approve" or "be vetted" nothing is independant any more

so if one scientist proves mobile telephone masts distrurb bees sense of direction then orange/t mobile and O2 with fund ten other to prove he is wrong

Last edited:
Goodness your keen to start a contentiuos argument and it only the 3rd of the month of a new decade you must be desperate for a subject line or perhaps just a little petty.

The acronym BIBBA no longer represents British in any sense of the word :(.

John Wilkinson

No sherwood. The usage of "British" as an euphemism for English has been a source of serious annoyance to the non English members of Britain for long enough and only the non English people can express this annoyance.

EBKA is accurate.

PH

No sherwood. The usage of "British" as an euphemism for English has been a source of serious annoyance to the non English members of Britain for long enough and only the non English people can express this annoyance.

EBKA is accurate.

PH

agree, i went in 1966 to watch England win the world cup with my dad, what flag did i wave the "British" union flag of great Britain and Northern Ireland, not the English flag of St George, can't even remember seeing one in 1966, the 1970's english football team strip was red white and blue...union flag, wherase it should have ben red and white..st george ..just think what would happen if wales turned out in the clours of the union flag next time they play rugby

so i think it should be EBKA

but still few people in england recognise the problem,

perhaps we should set up a EBKA that is not supported by agro chemical companies

Last edited:
Because if the English goverment supported the BBKA then it would have to be called the European beekeeping association and funded from Brussels.

Perhaps I have been dead too long - but could someone remind me exactly which English government we are talking about?

If you had an old Persian carpet would you now call it an Iranian carpet?

Bit like the BBKA. Same as the example above but just still awaiting a revolution......

Was probably good when it represented Britain's beekeepers. Can anyone remember that?

Regards, RAB

Do you mean when it represented English beekeepers? ;)

As the constitution operates by giving the Annual Delegates Meeting power to appoint the Executive, and those delegates have always been drawn from affliated English local BKAs (with the exception of one NI splinter group), it hasn't ever operated as a British BBKA, just an English one.

G.

Latest posts

Back