Why are the girls cranky in the evening?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have one hive on the roof of my house so it is easy to check them - I just climb out the window. I rarely use smoke and notice that in the morning they are docile and nice to me and it is easy to check the fames. In the evening they are cranky and buzzing all over me and really attack when I check the frames. Does anyone know why?

I have one hive on the roof of my house so it is easy to check them - I just climb out the window. I rarely use smoke and notice that in the morning they are docile and nice to me and it is easy to check the fames. In the evening they are cranky and buzzing all over me and really attack when I check the frames. Does anyone know why?

They all at home thats why
Now think about it, now you think why ( not beeing rude )

they don't attack in the day because they are too busy in the evening they are all tucked up at home trying to keep warm and they really notice you breaking in, i don't use smoke either

I have never come across a colony that doesn't require at least some smoke.

Visit mine on a warm day..

Even our Association hives yesterday were operable with no smoke. 21C and humid and little wind.

I have never come across a colony that doesn't require at least some smoke.

Come down to see my bees ;)- I have some I don't smoke- they ignore me... and are hard working...But they wont throw off queen cells... next year will push them into it!

Always worth using a cover cloth before the smoke to see if it was really necessary. Keep the smoke nearby.

Bees are also more protective at this time of the year... honey is precious for their survival- and they know it.

Cranky? My bees can just get bad tempered or stroppy.
Are you or your 'girls' American? :rolleyes:

I agree with the previous posts. In these darker evenings the hive is simply more full up with bees which would be out foraging during the day, and these older bees are more likely to attack. You will find the same thing if you inspect not long after daybreak.

And be careful climbing in and out of that window, especially if you have a cloud of 'cranky' bees around your head.

Thanks, all. The bees are not American although I am (been in the UK 18 years though so I know how to drive in the left). I don't visit in the evening anymore. I find that about 9am in the summer works well.

Regarding smoke, I don't use it for quick checks and do use it occasionally for frame by frame checks.

As a newbie, I really appreciate this forum and have learned tons. So thanks again.

I wondered if there was a U.S.connection.

Good luck to you and your girls. I hope they are keeping you sweet.

Give my regards to Twickenham - I lived on Craneford Way for a while, but I was glad to get away from the flight path...

Sorry Mdiland Bee but I disagree. I only use smoke on my colonies when taking honey or applying apiguard. At other times my bees are freindly enough when handled gently, at the right time of day and in the right weather.

Sorry Mdiland Bee but I disagree. I only use smoke on my colonies when taking honey or applying apiguard. At other times my bees are freindly enough when handled gently, at the right time of day and in the right weather.
I'd rather do without smoke if possible. Mine vary, but on a good day it's fine to look at two of my colonies without smoke; the third always needs a little, not for temper but to settle them a bit (they are too busy and agitated otherwise, and difficult to inspect). If there's any wind or weather, or poor nectar flow, then smoke is definitely a must. I would always have it on hand just in case they get aeriated for some reason.

I'm a first year noob... so I am on a steep learning curve...

The dark bee strain I got from my mentor (MJBee) were pretty docile in his hives, so I started inspections on the developing nuc this season with no smoke - with no issues. I was starting to wonder why i was wearing protective kit.

Then I squished a bee by mistake putting a frame back one day. lets just say it had some dissapointed friends...

The worst thing seems to be when they have propolised everything down and there are many cracks and bangs involved in getting the cover off. I have learned from painful experience (including a sting in the gentlemans area) to release the top if it is glued down - then back off for 10 minutes and come back and go in quietly.

Since the colony expanded from 5 to 10 frames they seem to get more defensive more quickly.Now I always smoke a little and this seems to keep them managable.

Nik.

Latest posts

Back