Why are bee suits normally white?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Why are beekeeping suits white?

Its not like they blend in when you are out in the feild.

And Have you tried to keep your suite clean / white?

They are not all white, impossible to keep white suits clean.

I understand that light colours are good dark not so good,blue jeans especially bad for getting stung.

Bcrazy come help us here.

I am going to dye mine over winter to a forest green colour.

You can wear it when pigion decoying as well then,multi pupose.

Good thinking!

I am going to dye mine over winter to a forest green colour.

Really!

I have no bee suit. I use large white shirts.

* hives are in sunny hot spots. I need white shirt which reflects sun heating.
* bees do no react at white

* other shirt colors make bees aware and they hit against hand move.

I may change sweaty shirt several times a day.

During very hot day I first pour water on my shirt and hat before I start hive handling.

Thanks finman for the adice, but as calm as my bees are, a suit will be used.

Its like a uniform, would you trust a nurse that does not wear stockings and suspenders under her nurese uniform?

It is just not right

This is the colour I want to dye it. I would have been simpler to have bought it that colour in the first place!

macperson.jpg

I think thats Olive(The colour not the beekeeper!)

Woolies sell that colour as a cold wash dye.

foresty-olivey-greeny colour. Same thing

Having not done it before it might end up like a tie-dye T shirt Hippy type thing.

I think Olive green it will bee

http://www.dylon.co.uk/colours.html

HI

I dyed my 1st white cotton suit green. It dyed well. I still got hammered. I have read that the best colour is Red. When a friend visited the african bees in mexico he was given a red Sherrif suit. They told him that they have tried all colours and you fair best in red.

I have seen one or 2 in red suits. Prehaps we should ask them how they fear.

I did not like white as I felt you where to visible in a green field. Clive Debyrn has a camo suit. He bought it at a present for an African trip and it was illegal to wear military camo if not in the military. He bought it home and wears it hear.

:)

Last edited:
Is that the red/orange plastic type suite?
I have seen a beekeeper of 40 years+ with one of those on and did think does he know something we dont.

They are made from rip stop nylon (Parachute material). They are a little shiney.

Thats the ones,I never got close enough to stroke him I must admit.

I think we need a new thread on suites and what members have tried and think of them.

I love the american suites that can breath.

when i first started i made up a suit with red overalls,must say when i changed to factory suit did`t notice a lot of difference.
i now have a olive suit,less obvious.no point in letting the whole world
know what your up to.
iombeeman

for what it is worth mine is a white one designed for the African bee. The Sherrifs ones have veils that invite your ears to be stung and that nips a bit.

PH

I always wear a bush hat, the brim keeps the veil away from ears and nose and also gives added protection to the top of the head for baldies. :)

Latest posts

Back