Who's lost a swarm then...........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup; Queen Margaret (head of a swarm that moved in at the end of June last year - bait hives are wonderful things) has attempted to offski as of about midday today.

As luck would have it they bearded on (well, completely covered) a 3 year old crabapple in the back garden. I've been coaxing them into their choice of a nuc or a brood box since then; they're still undecided.

Agreed that I expected they would prefer the brood box (they did last time: I have a timelapse of them piling out of the Nuc and straight into the full-sized brood). However; they've gone for the Nuc this time. I've had a peak and they seem happy enough… I'll keep an eye on them.

Can I claim that mine is not lost as I caught them and they have stayed in their new hive all day, bringing in pollen. Is it likely that they will abscond now? Planning to take QE off bottom tomorrow and check original hive for any more QC.

yep had one go AWOL

i found 30 QC but could not find the queen so I split the brood box three ways each with a QC to try and limit losses , one of the three boxes swarmed and HM ended up in my Super stack with a small caste size prime swarm

Not lost one yet, but only a matter of time the way things are going. Of 9 colonies brought through the winter, 8 have been split or AS and the last one will be tomorrow (if I get to it in time; 21 QC in there all put up in the last 5 days, and discovered at branch apiary meeting. Great girls, thanks!).

I've collected 4 swarms in as many days within 20 yards of my back garden, two coming into the bait hive. (None from my own colonies though so far...) Was just on the way down the garden this afternoon to take the bait hive down, as I've completely run out of kit, and just as I got there, a good sized swarm appeared and proceeded to march straight in. Ten minutes later and they would have had nowhere to go!

So fingers crossed, but I sense it could be an interesting summer, and a second wave will follow before too long. Just as we think it is safe to sit down and have a leisurely weekend without being on constant bee-watch!

L.

On illo's theme; this Thursday, I reckon. A great big fat one headed by my beautiful prolific Bucky Red Queen so good luck if you get them. There is no way my desperately ignorant attempt at a split yesterday worked.

I am going to call it a "learning experience" and practice finding queens.

Out there and back again

Yep mine swarmed yesterday, but had a change of mind and went back in eventually. Could not find queen, but found 1 QC took a nut off with queen cell as insurance. Will inspect hive today to see if queen is there or what isa happening. Sods law off to Portugal on Sunday

I have a caste swarm 25' up a tree. Trying to entice them down with bait hives. This is the 2nd cast, caught the first luckily and have picked out 3 virgins from the hive. And I thought I only left one Q cell. :smilielol5:

Hmm, have to check my records but the 1 hive that swarmed (assumed) seems to have a newly emerged virgin queen, so quickly removed other QC's and put back together!

I didn't, but someone lost a very big swarm today.....it's now mine, and totally filling a 4 frame nuc with no comb or foundation in. Decided to put it straight into a brood box.

Yep, I have but managed to get it back. As I am a newbie to beekeeping this was the first swarm I have lost or collected.

Brrrrrrrrrrroooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ooop's, I wonder where that was headed?

Had three easy ones yesterday all at about 1m50, beats the day before with five - three of which required ladders and branch removal.

Happy days eh? Chris

None so far, but mustn't get complacent. Only 2 calls too. Waiting to get call for a prime to go in pals top bar.

Hmmmm. Suspect I may have tempted fate. Absolute whopper collected from a neighbours garden tonight, and I have a feeling that I may find a familiar looking red marked queen in their midst...after AS too, so epic fail somewhere along the line.

So...search for hidden QCs tomorrow before the little beggars chuck out any more.

They just have to get the better of us don't they!

One gone, not long after last inspection I would guess - back from Africa Monday, Tuesday after work was the only chance to inspect for that week, the odd shower interrupted inspections of ten hives so in my rush i must have missed QC's in the hive thought less likely to be swarming. Today, ten days later (first weather window to check, apart from last Tuesday - but Redwood and me were too busy chasing swarms!!!!) loads of capped QC's one on the point of emerging - you win some, you lose some!

One off mine on a post next to hive but low to ground maybe queen was to heavey .but the embarrassing bit is that day I collected a swarm from Ashford and told the guy how to controll his bees Wil mine swarmed .

lost one/// caught one /// lost one// caught one.. when is all gonna stop????

Latest posts

Back