Who ya gonna call? - swarmbusters!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
my flabber is well and truly ghasted! Like buses, bees would all appear to come along at once........
New swarm installed in hive last night - this morning, 'er indoors spots a swarm in a field hedge some 200 yards away.............. had my first lot of bees absconded? - Luckily a swift peep in my hive confirmed they were firmly esconced - So I phoned the chap who owns the farmland to tell him about the swarm - cut a long story short, he asked me to call his sister who had a couple of hives at the edge of the field, if I was unable to contact her, I could grab them myself............. So, armed with a step ladder, a branch lopper, a lawn rake, a cardboard box and an old sheet, I set forth - secure in the knowledge I'd watched a Youtube video on swarm collecting........... (and having a total innate dislike of health and safety)
Had to climb down a steep ditch, up the other side, cut my way into the hedge interior, plonked the cardboard box under the swarm, thwacked the supporting branch with a stick - hefty "plop," bees in box, sheet over the top - job done!
And for some odd reason, not a sting..................

Last edited:
All the books tell you that bees in a swarm rarely sting; they say that it's because they are "high" on adrenaline, [or honey], and the excitement of a new home...blah...blah.

The same books usually tell you that bees don't climb down your wellingtons, and that they normally climb upwards.

Funny that...'cos one crawled down mine yesterday, and nipped me heel !!

John

you lot just dont know how lucky you lot are, i have had 14 call outs and all but two were for bumble bees, aparently there is a limited number of people who know what a honey bee looks like as for the other two well that was to collect a jam jar containing bees ( 2) and to turn up to the bloke hidding behind the door pretending to not be in, its just as well i charge £25 a go cause i am well racked off

Just come off the 'phone from the lady from who's hives they emanated - she's coming round to pick them up later..........never mind, lots of brownie points with the neighbours!:)

I have just got home to a message on the phone of a swarm of bees.

On phoning up he informes me that another beekeeper is currently in the process of collecting them into his box. "Its a very large swarm" he says, "nice" I say:mad::banghead:

Thought about saying "it is current practise for beekepers to pay for swarms" but I did not! Oh well,

Good news today for me was following my visit to London yesterday, I am Now a fully Chartered Chemical Engineer (CEng MIChemE).

This now goes with my Chartered Chemist and Chartered Scientist.

Collected 2 today (that's 6 casts in 10 days)- both medium casts - Still. ok for the people waiting for their first bees. Will keep, build up, treat for varroa and then give them their eagerly awaited colony.
However -name and shame - I was also told of another swarm that Brighton Environmental Health were informed about - some fool came out and sprayed them - 'to eradicate them'. I have been on to B E.H Dept - and berated them soundly!!:beatdeadhorse5:

Heather this is a common problem this year,I was talking with a pest control company that run some very sensitive contracts,mod prison service etc and they informed me that because of the credit crunch there are loads of companies that are more than happy to spray as they need the work,some are even price cutting each other to under £20 to kill a swarm of bee's.

Jimbeekeeper congrates on your new entry on the register ! Are you on the right forum what with all science qualifications ? :boxing_smiley:

Latest posts

Back