Who still has honey left for sale?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A BBC report, below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7734769.stm

"Bee keepers are warning that there could be no domestically produced honey left on supermarket shelves by Christmas.

Supplies are significantly down because of a mite infestation that has killed off a quarter of the UK's honey bees this year. Jeremy Cooke reports. "

Why are the media so hung up on this "mite" or is it only me that does not consider them a problem, in that they can be managed out. And I do not mean by throwing every chemical under the sun at them?

...because it IS a problem.

And you know the media...sensationalism I believe tis called, or doom mongering!

I gave up on the BBC a while ago regards news.
Come to think of it I gave up on news a while ago:)

Its because they have nothing else to report!

I am surprised they have not link the credit crunch (another media driven "problem") to bees or vis versa

Sorry to go off topic,
Yesterday I was in my local Tescos and coffee that was ?5.99 last week was ?7.78 while in Clarks shoes that last week sold for ?75 had a ticket of ?95.

It seems to me that the large plc shops are increasing prices to keep shareholders happy.

It looks like they are after the mugs who just grab stuff off shelves rather than check prices.

Admin, I agree with you - you'd of thought with petrol prices decreasing, we would be passed on the savings - they're quick enough to hike 'em up!

We have been dealing with varroa for 17 years,so why the sudden mass interest in varroa,are they doing something different.

We have been dealing with varroa for 17 years,so why the sudden mass interest in varroa,are they doing something different.

Exactly!
But maybe it is a good thing?