Who killed the honeybee; BBC4

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subbuteo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A programme coming up on the 23 April, BBC4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk16/thu.shtml

"Bees are dying in their millions and it's an ecological crisis that threatens to bring global agriculture to a standstill. Introduced by Martha Kearney, Who Killed The Honeybee? explores the reasons behind the decline of bee colonies across the globe and investigates what might be at the root of this devastation.

Honey bees are the No. 1 insect pollinator on the planet, responsible for the production of over 90 crops. Apples, berries, cucumbers, nuts, cabbages and even cotton will struggle to be produced if bee colonies continue to decline at the current rate. Empty hives have been reported from as far afield as Taipei and Tennessee. In England, the matter has caused beekeepers to call on the government to fund research into what they say is potentially a bigger threat to humanity than the current financial crisis.

Investigating the problem from a global perspective, the programme travels from the farm belt of California to the flatlands of East Anglia to the outback of Australia. They talk to the beekeepers whose livelihoods are threatened by colony collapse disorder (CCD), the scientists entrusted with solving the problem and the Australian beekeepers who are making a fortune replacing the planet's dying bees. They also look at some of the possible reasons for the declining numbers ? is it down to a bee plague, pesticides and malnutrition, or is the answer something even more frightening?

Who Killed The Honeybee? is part of a season of programmes on BBC Four exploring how food gets from the fields to the kitchen table. It documents the revolution this process has undergone in Britain over the last 100 years and examines how the countryside has changed as a result. Other programmes in the season include: Mud, Sweat And Tractors, Farm To Pharm and Dorset Days ? A Year In The Life Of Longhorn Jim."

Thanks for that info - have emailed all in the Brighton Assoc ( sadly most don't come on to this forum- say no more :svengo:)

Problem is that honey bee is not dying. And then there are 19 999 other species which take care of pollination. At least Africanized bees do too well.

After 3 billion years Andromea Galaxy will collide to our Milky Way and we all will be dead. Sory for that.

Finman, in some uk cities it looks like it already has!:(

It has been said losely Monsato is responsible as they don't want polinators.

Busy Bee

Monsanto has bee founded 1901. Yet it has not achieved its goal to destroy pollinators. Hard job. Carry on!

Is Monsanto yet another company that have the BBKA in their pocket with a yearly payment ?

Philip Chandler(Biobee) gave a talk at the BBKA convention a few years back about GM honey.

This was his conclusion:

To put the bounty and the health of our land,
our only commonwealth, into the hands of people
who do not live on it and share its fate
will always be an error.
For whatever determines the fortune of the land
determines also the fortune of the people.
If history teaches anything, it teaches that.

Without people like Phil keeping a close eye on the BBKA beekeeping in the uk would be well and truly f***** !!!

I think we are well and truely f***** anyway BBKA sharing a bed with the SPRAY COMPANIES. Our only way forward is without their support. Bee Keepers should abandon and sever all ties with the assiciation and go it alone. We should form cells in each and every county not affilated with any association. We should persue our own insurance etc and with websites like this bee keepers have all the knowledge they need.

This way would safe guard national control over the Bee Keepers.

Busy Bee

Finman -tell that to the Chinese! In some areas they are pollinating by hand with chicken feathers as the bees have GONE.They are losing huge pear crops. It is taking them 2 weeks to do what the bees did in an afternoon.
Just because you are ok doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't having a problem and the problem seems to be escalating.

Have you ever watched to "film" Supersize me? You might get the picture why bees died off or p*ssed off, from mono culture crops.

I think a large part of the problem in China was due to herbicides- they killed everything that would sustain the bees out of pear season. I'm sure they used insecticides aplenty too. Extremely potent chemicals are available to anyone who wants them in China. Farmers dose the land with huge amounts of pesticides/insecticides to keep intruders off their land.

I wonder is there migratory beekeeping in China?

Last edited:
I

Chinese beekeeping ---- 蜂箱 = beehive

http://images.google.com/images?hl=fi&rls=com.microsoft:*&um=1&q=蜂箱&sa=N&start=18&ndsp=18

On July 7, the Miyun County uniform purchase 2035 set of high quality beehive provide ceremony the town is held in Feng Jiayu.
(translation Babelfish)
200571427213.jpg

Last edited:
I think a large part of the problem in China was due to herbicides- they killed everything that would sustain the bees out of pear season. I'm sure they used insecticides aplenty too. Extremely potent chemicals are available to anyone who wants them in China. Farmers dose the land with huge amounts of pesticides/insecticides to keep intruders off their land.

No they polinate the pears by hand now with a paint brush.

Latest posts

Back