Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
After watching 'Who killed the Honeybee?', (A little premature title ). I am not surprised that CCD? has affected the American commercial men to a higher degree than anywhere else !. Their modus operandii destroys the myth that "amateur /hobbyist beekeepers" are responsible for colony losses.
The disgusting spectacle of "beekeepers " throwing bees around , pitching queen excluders followed by supers willy nilly, crushing bees by the thousand, thus squirting nosema spores and untold pathogens everywhere, leads me to state, 'As ye sow, so shall ye reap".
Some scenes dipicted millions of disorientated bees, clinging to the "Transportation".
If I hear the quote by certain know alls in the beekeeping fraternity ,that hobbyist are some what inferior, I will now cite "Who killed the bees"

John

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
I agree they showed no mercy when looking at the bees slam bang squash.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
putting my hippy hat on, the only bloke who was apparently having great success was the urban beekeeper who obviously respected his bees, and talked to them when handling them! I too was horrified by the way the US commercial beekeepers treated their stock - and the "attitude" - "they're only bugs"

Roy S 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Me and my wife were sitting open mouthed at how they were going through the colonies, throwing frames into brood boxes without a thought for crushing bees etc.

I always thought I have treated bees with respect and care before watching this programme, now I KNOW I have!!.

It didnt paint american commercial beekeepers in a good light, I've always wondered what the hell some animal rights people were going on about when they start going on about people exploiting honeybees, that programme just seemed to highlight how bad it is in some parts of the World.

We have a lot to be thankful for in this country after all, I for one wouldnt like to be in a country with those guys!

Baggyone 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was somewhat suprised by it as well. I did'nt think much of the Aussies packing the bees up either. seemed a bit harsh to me.

planbee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Two
The treatment of them "bugs"

Par for the course; they've killed the North American Red man, had a go at slaughtering the Buffalo, the Bison, created dust bowls, interfered in many foreign countries, and now the Bee's!

Planbee [formerly sameagle]

Last edited:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
a speech made by Chief Seattle in circa 1850, in response to President Franklin's request to "buy" their homeland -

"How can you buy or sell the sky?-The warmth of the land?-
The idea is strange to us.
We do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water.
How can you buy them from us?
Every part of this Earth is sacred to my people:
every shining pine needle, every-sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods,
every clearing and humming insect is holy in the memory and experience of my people.

We know that the white man does not understand our ways.
One portion of the land is the same to him as the next;
-for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the land whatever he needs.
The Earth is not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered it,
he moves on.

His appetite will devour the Earth and leave behind only a desert

The sight of your cities pains the eyes . . .
There is no quiet place in the white man's cities.
No place to hear the waves of spring or the rustle of insect's wings....
And what is there to life if a man cannot hear the lovely cry of the whip-poor-will,
or the argument of frogs around a pond at night?

The indian prefers the soft sound of the wind darting over the face of the pond,
and the srnell of the wind itself, cleansed by a midday rain, or scented with pinion pine.

The air is precious to the redman;. for all things share the same breath - the beasts, the trees, the man.
The white man does not seem to notice the air he breathes
Like a man dying for many days, he is numb to the smell of his own stench.
I have seen a thousand rotting buffaloes on the prairies,
left by the white man who shot them from a passing train.
I am a savage and do not understand how the smoking iron horse can be more important than the buffalo that we kill only to live.

What is man without the beasts?
If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beast also happens to man.
All things are connected.... One thing we know that the white man may one day discover.
Our God is the same God....
This Earth is precious to him and to harm the Earth is to heap contempt on its creator....

When the last redman has vanished from the Earth,
and the memory is only the shadow of a cloud moving across the prairie,
these shores and forests will still hold the spirits of my people,
for they love the Earth as the newborn loves its mother's heartbeat..... "

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
When the last redman has vanished from the Earth,
and the memory is only ........ "
Sad stories all over the globe

* Stalin killed more his own people than I world war alltogether
* The British killed all Tasmanian original people
* In Cambodia own folks killed 30% of their own people
* Japans killed most civilian in II world war Chinese 16 milj. Indonesian 4 milj.

What it has to do with bees?

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
point totally missed - 50,000 feet and climbing!

The point is that an "ignorant savage" could see through our "treat nature with contempt" way of life 150 odd-years ago - and that continuing to do so will result, as Chief Seattle put it "His appetite will devour the Earth and leave behind only a desert" - it's about the environment, the planet, that thing we're so busy sh*tting in and on!

Last edited:

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
point totally missed - 50,000 feet and climbing!

The point is that an "ignorant savage" could see through our "treat nature with contempt" way of life 150 odd-years ago -!
Not so ignorant. He had seen what happens

Photograph from the mid-1870s of a pile of American bison skulls waiting to be ground for fertilizer.

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
The thing is if they handled any other livestock like that they could be prosecuted for it.

shonabee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I don't think that's true: though it should be! Battery chickens, Danish pig farming....many farm animals are treated as badly as honey bees.