Who breaks 'the rules' then?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headnavigator

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm curious at what stage new beekeepers feel able to make accurate judgements for themselves as to when rules they were taught might safely be broken, and, indeed, which rules 'set in stone' ought to be broken?
The question arises for me from another thread where I find I'm not mad to have judged that my bees do not like smoke and behave better without it!
Who is 'rule-bound' and afraid to break any, and what rules have you broken and later regretted?

I do quite often lift the lid off the hive to have a peek, with nothing on.
Er, no beekeeping suit or veil, I mean! :biggrinjester:

Rules what rules...?

Only rules I think I break is the lack of spare kit ready to go and using the hive tool in the corners of each chamber to break the propolis and lastly in some peoples eyes I wear leather gloves and I don't really care if others think I kill more bees for wearing them. :seeya:

Last edited:
My bees always break the rules so I have to follow them.

A lot of the "rules" are sound guidance for beginners.

When people feel a bit more confident, and that can take years for some, then the boundaries can be challenged.

There are some rules which are safer for them with but one or two colonies to keep too, and some which I now frankly drive a coach and horses through.

However do bear in mind experience counts here in knowing how far you can go.

If in doubt then be conventional.

PH

I make my own rules so I dont break them I just change them if needed

If anyone ain't the sense to wear a good veil I have no sympathy at all.

Ya get two eyes issued at birth if lucky. Look after them.

PH

As a dead bueaucrat, I am appalled at the thought of breaking rules.

...I do, however, interpret them fairly flexibly on occasion...;)

A lot of the "rules" are sound guidance for beginners.
snip...
PH

If someone tells you a "rule," always ask why. Otherwise you will pass it on as a rule and generations of beekeeepers will be saddled with a rule that turns out to be wrong.

If you take any book on beekeeping and cross out everything in it that isn't a scientifically established and researched fact you will end up with a very thin book.

This includes a Russian beekeeping book I have which explains how after comrade Stalin came to power productivity of Soviet hives increased significantly.

Steve

Rules are orthodoxy and may have been designed to protect the majority, generally.

However, they are as likely to be received ignorance as received wisdom.

You can break as many rules as you like but remember you have to be able to afford the consequences of your mistake if that is the end result.

Rules? What rules? My bees break all of them and like to keep me on my toes, im just following their lead where ever they decide to take me.

Latest posts

Back