Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Peebels 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I had a look through my three hives yesterday, apart from one appearing to be queenless (it swarmed about 3-4 weeks ago), I happened to notice something a little odd. A lot of bees appeared to have a very white line down there back. Upon closer inspection this appeared to be slightly fluffy but very much confined to the centre of the torso and occasionally abdomen. I have seen bees covered in pollen and old bees that have lost colour and it looked nothing like that at all. In some respects it did look a little mouldy, but not clumped or anything, just, well white!

The bees them selves appear to be behaving normally from what I could see?

Any ideas or suggestions?

iball 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
They're working the Himalyan Balsom, nothing to worry about. There is a HB thread on here somewhere.

Ian

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Have you got any himalayan balsam in range? that is the usual cause of the "grey stripe":)

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I had a look through my three hives yesterday, apart from one appearing to be queenless (it swarmed about 3-4 weeks ago), I happened to notice something a little odd. A lot of bees appeared to have a very white line down there back. Upon closer inspection this appeared to be slightly fluffy but very much confined to the centre of the torso and occasionally abdomen. I have seen bees covered in pollen and old bees that have lost colour and it looked nothing like that at all. In some respects it did look a little mouldy, but not clumped or anything, just, well white!

The bees them selves appear to be behaving normally from what I could see?

Any ideas or suggestions?
Your bees have been working hymalayan Balsam
This plant has a hair trigger which when touched by a bee causes the stamen to dip down and anoint the bee with a dusting of pollen .
I'm surprised you haven't heard of this before as it's been discussed many times on this and other forums :smash:

John Wilkinson

kathrynat 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I checked my bees this evening and had exactly the same thing. A lot of the bees had a white stripe. I am new as well, and I thought that some new white bees had moved in :) They do look pretty with their white backs.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Go Faster Stripe.:smash:

Latest posts