White spot on bee faces

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Hutchings

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Now up to 8 colonies due to splits and swarms !
A lot of my bees appear to have a white spot/marking on their faces to varying sizes, any ideas ?
All it comes up with on google etc is Carpenter bees which they definetly arent lol

Thanks

A lot of my bees appear to have a white spot/marking on their faces to varying sizes, any ideas ?
All it comes up with on google etc is Carpenter bees which they definetly arent lol

Thanks
Think pollen .
Some one will answer from what flower ;)

VM

Every year! :) But then it scared me in my first year!

Phew !
Thought it was going to be some weird and wonderful disease !!
Thanks both of you not worthy

No Balsam here and many of mine have a white spot on their faces from time to time AND they often have white bums as well.

Chris

I was reading Storch ( again ) last night and read something about Orchids leaving horns on bees heads.

" .....a forager looking for nectar enters the flower, it comes into contact with two sticky pollen sacs which stick to it's head "

I know it says two, but maybe there are some flowers that do the same with one. It's possible.

I was reading Storch ( again ) last night and read something about Orchids leaving horns on bees heads.

" .....a forager looking for nectar enters the flower, it comes into contact with two sticky pollen sacs which stick to it's head "

I know it says two, but maybe there are some flowers that do the same with one. It's possible.

The pollen sacs look like little feelers rather than spots though. They look quite comical but not something I'd like to have stuck on my head.
Cazza

The point is it could be any number of different pollens depending on what you have in the locality and in flower, in my case it couldn't be himilayan balsam because there isn't any where I am. Either way it isn't an issue.

Chris

The pollen sacs look like little feelers rather than spots though. They look quite comical but not something I'd like to have stuck on my head.
Cazza

I would just love to see that :D

Have you actually seen this Cazza and if so what Orchid is it?

It certainly isn't all of them, I have 6 types of Orchid on our land all around the hives and have never seen such a thing.

Chris

Storch doesn't say, he just says some types of Orchids.

Last edited:
Yes I know Storch doesn't say, that's why I was asking Cazza who appeared to have seen it judging by their post. Also as part of my general naturalist activities I've never come across it myself having observed a fair number of orchids when flowering.

Just interested, it would be good to know.

Chris

Latest posts

Back