White Ladies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
At Last...during inspections today I saw my first bees covered in white pollen from the HB. Total relief.....now only need some good weather for the colonies to fill the coffers! Only a few bees seen but at least they have found it. I was beginning to think the council had actually carried out the decimation of HB. Although why I should think that I really don't know....they have always been the worst landowners for leaving Ragwort to seed!
I inspected the 2 production hives....some capped honey... a few frames worth...and that isn't fully capped. Hives are full of bees with many frames of capped brood.....I think they have had the munchies!
Added a feeder to a double decker nuc. Although it is doing well...there were no stores in it to speak of.
Topped up feeders on 2 other colonies.
I feel time is running out this summer.....

Had my 1st whites of the year start a few days ago, a welcome sight! Only one of the hives have found it so far... Hoping the others find it soon before all the ivy starts.

Had my 1st whites of the year start a few days ago, a welcome sight! Only one of the hives have found it so far... Hoping the others find it soon before all the ivy starts.

I saw them in 2 hives...fingers crossed!
Last year....they were flocking back to the hive...it was amazing to watch. Even today...it was warm and sunny but it seemed most of the bees were in the hive after the morning of rain!

There are loads of HB around where I live and its in full bloom, I have yet to see a bee coming back with signs that they have been visiting it! Grrrrrrrrr They seem to be working the Rose Bay Willow looking at the pollen they are returning with.

I noticed white covered bees in hives in Caerphilly a few weeks ago - and again on Saturday.

My closest HB bed (that I lnow of) has been in flower for about 3 weeks, but no honey bees have been interested in it, only very few bumble bees and they were not picking up any of the White pollen. I'm guessing this recent hot weather has made all the difference as when I visited there over the weekend were lots of white covered bees all over them, but still not as many as last year yet.

It's just come into flower around here...I stopped on the way back from Caerphilly...to take a look. No seeds formed...just flowers...perhaps it will last a while. Although we are forecast grotty weather again towards the end of the week!

Latest posts

Back